BARKING and CLICKING! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy BARKING and CLICKING!

Ok, it is out of control. I cannot sleep anymore! I know chinnies play at night and sleep during the day, but every night around 3 or 4 am the chinnies start barking. Every other night a different chin. I am ready to cry! Then when I wake up and go in to their room and sort of get mad at them, I leave and they start making a clicking noise. I know that the barking usually means they are not happy or what-not and it is like nothing is wrong. I also know sometimes it is to get out of the cage, and they have a big play room. Is there anything I can do to stop it, and what is the clicking sounds for??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 09:42 AM

Do you think they may be asking for attention? like a little kid throwing a fit. i have one that does that, he'll start making a noise like "uh uh uh uh" until i come, then he'll be quiet, then when i put him back and walk away he starts making noise again. I leave a litle radio on in their room for them and that seems to help some.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 11:27 AM

My andy does that too And if i sit up in bed (he's in my bedroom) he'll stop and look at me like YAY, i got her up, now play w/me!! lol. and so i usually get up, and give him some attention (give him some fresh hay, something to chew on, or a raisin). But sometimes, like you i get angry then he just does this grunt grunt grunt noise like a whimper...

wouldn't it be easier if we could understand them??? it drives me crazy too!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 12:01 PM

i also found this...

Chinchilla Sounds

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

I have been to the pages. I think it is the attention. Because my boyfriend and I go in there and talk to them and then give them a treat and head back to bed. Then an hour later they do it again!!! They have their own room to play in and lately I have not been letting them out and I think they might want out. No reason I cannot let them out when I sleep, so maybe I will see if that is why! Such attention wanting babies!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 03:57 PM

You might try playing a radio in their room. Turn it on low so it's just a murmur, country or classical or something calm-ish.

My chins LOVE their radio and FREAK out if we turn it off and forget to turn it on.
They also let us know when the power goes out in the middle of the night - they all freak out when the radio turns off. Quite helpful!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 04:11 PM

oooOOooo. i could get one of those soothing nature sounds things and both the chin and me could get some great rest hehe..i'm looking into that!!!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 05:11 PM

mine use to do it when we had strangers outside our flat since moved they have stopped.
when i lived at home i had 13 of them in my room next to my bed around the walls so know about the noise!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 05:42 PM

HAHA you could buy CD's and stick them in a boombox. I wonder if that would make my chins want to make more babies
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

HAHA....nice I am trying to breed maybe I will play some Barry Manilow and hope for the best!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 06:46 PM
Title Thief Victim

I'd try the radio thing,i do it for my bird...lol

Carissasaurus Rex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Well the radio thing runs into the fact that my apartment is a 2-bedroom brickhouse and they are in the bedroom right next to mine. The walla are so thin that even doing that I will hear like it is in my room. I am going to try letting them out to play while I sleep. They are really good chinchillas and they can use the exercise time.

I think the clicking has been from the fact that I recently had to take Henry on a trip to a gradeschool for a show and tell, and I gave him a towel to cuddle with since he always lays on Hailey. When I put him back in the big cage with her I gave him the towel since he liked to cuddle with it. Then I noticed the other day Hailey was clicking at him and I looked and he was laying on the towel and she was laying on him.

I think she is jealous she is not getting anymore attention so she barks for it!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 09:03 AM

lol!!! chins are funny
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Indeed. They do make amazing pets. I could not have asked for anything else!