Baytril ?? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Question Baytril ??

I put this inquiry in here as it seems this is where i keep seeing this drug used with chins.
I was wondering if someone could give me some info on this drug. I have read before about deaths concerning the use of Baytril. Is this because of the strength of the drug or do chins have a sensitivity to it .
Why I am asking is that I have seen where it is beginning to be used or is used quite a bit with sugar gliders too. This scares me because of their tiny size and it seems I keep reading of deaths of gliders that were on Baytril. So any info that any one has that could help me out would be great. I don't mean just with gliders either as i know we don't have too many ppl with gliders but we have many really knowledgable ppl here that have had to use Baytril with their chins , prairie dogs etc. Thanks for any help
Barb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 05:02 PM
PitterPatter

a majority of the problems with Baytril are improper dosing of the drug, and improper use of the drug. This is why it is so critical to have a vet that knows that the dose of Baytril is NOT the same as a guinea pig, or a rabbit, and the vet needs to be well trained with the exotics.

At work we have used Baytril in animals,and our store vet gives us the minimal dose that he possibly can, and then if it hasn't cleared up in a week, then he SLIGHTLY raises the dosage. Just like people, some animals are allergic to certain drugs, and as of now, you can't really test a small animal for medicinal allergies. So that is another reason why pets have died due to Baytril. I have never had to use it on any of my pets, but I have heard the horror stories of improper dosages or diagnoses. I have also seen the good side of the drug, however I still hope I never have to use it.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 05:18 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I second what PitterPatter said -- improper use and dosage is the problem with Baytril. It's a good drug if used how it should be used and in the appropriate doses. If you have a vet who isn't experienced with chins or other exotics, there are websites out there specifically for veterinarians to check with and talk about medicines, cases, etc.

I've used it on Elvis and it didn't fix his problem, but it didn't harm him either because it was administered by an experienced exotics vet. As an antibiotic, I much prefer Trimethoprimsulfa. (also called Sulfatrim) Elvis was on it for weeks with no side effects.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 05:30 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Both Baytril and Sulfatrim are good drugs - as everyone says, used properly. My formulary is usually sitting right here over the computer and I was going to tell you what it says, but I'll have to wait 'til it shows its face again.

I do know that Baytril SHOULD NOT be taken by humans. I also know - from giving the injectible orally to birds - that it tastes awful.

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Ahhh thank you , that is what i thought that I had read was that it was usually to do with dosages. I hope also that I never have to use it but......... I just was hoping to be well informed if I did have to use it . I have a very good exotics vet who used to look after all the exotics at a local game farm but...... Just like with ourselves the better informed we are as patients the better off we are.
So is Sulfatrim a safer alternative then, do you think Jade. I know quite often there are very good alternatives to many drugs out there and sometimes just talking with my vet has helped with choosing a safer alternative. But I am not very knowledgeable about this area for small animals, only my dogs and cats.
Thanks again
Barb
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Thx Critter,,, I believe I just read that it should not be used for cats too. I would have to reread the article to be sure though.
Barb
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

No i stand corrected it was an alert in the use of Baytril in cats and to do with dosages again.

Bayer Corporation, the manufacturer of Baytril, has issued an alert on the use of Baytril in cats. It appears that cats who receive greater than the recommended dose are at increased risk of developing altered vision, including blindness. Cats should NOT receive more than a total dose of 2.27 mg/pound per day. To obtain as much information as possible, Bayer Corporation asks that any side effects of the medication should be reported to your veterinarian who will in turn report them to the company.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 07:39 PM

I've heard alot of scarey stories about baytril, I wouldn't use it unless it was life or death. It seems like alot of vet's want to use it right off the bat b/c it is a strong/wide spectrum antibiotic but in my opinion it's not usually necessary. I definetly prefer sulfatrim but I don'tt know if that's good for gliders or not.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 09:28 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

One more side note on baytril -- it's a very strong drug that can kill the positive bacteria in a GI tract. Something like Bene-Bac or yogurt should be given a few hours after each dose to replace the much needed probiotics.

Stephanie

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

This is true Becki but it is always worth asking about it. It just seemed odd to me that i am hearing again about baytril and deaths in the same breath. With my sg's if there was a safer alternative I would definitely like to go with that because they are relatively new and many good vets still have problems treating them.
Thx
Barb
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 09:58 PM

I have only been given Baytril one time and it was by a emergency vet, I felt uncomfortable using it and returned to my regular vet the next day that gave me sulfatrim... I have heard so many horror stories about it that I am afraid to use it.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 10:25 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

I would imagine that a whole lot more testing, etc., has been done on cats and dogs than has in most exotics, although I do know that it is used frequently with birds. I'm never hesitant to question my vet or ask for something else even for the dogs and cat if I'm not comfortable with it.

It's especially hard if you've ever worked in the vet business to find a vet in a new area that you can trust. Thank goodness Christi has a good vet for the chins (even tho we lost Maverick, I had no reason to believe that the dr didn't do everything he thought was necessary and I wouldn't hesitate to take Cam to him).

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 11:03 PM
Erin

I know nothing about chins, except they are cute are soft.

But, Baytril should not be used with young guinea pigs. I'm sure it would probably hold true with young chins as well.

My vet uses sulfatrim on my piggie posse, never had any problems with it. No loss of appetite or significant weight decrease.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 12:00 AM

We've used baytril quite successfully in our hedgehogs with serious infections, as it is a good all-purpose antibiotic. Interestingly, it's basically the same thing as Cipro, the anthrax med for humans. There is one really important caution about Baytril that I didn't see anyone mention. It should never be given to juvenile animals (those who aren't yet done growing) as it can cause some specific, major problems that have to do with cartilage and bone growth. It's been a long time since I read the insert so I can't remember exactly what the cautions were, but thought that ought to be mentioned!

Tig
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 12:32 AM
Erin

me, me, I mentioned it, lol Although I just mentioned piggies, but hey, it's what I know best. heh.

I had a pig with an ear infection that was put on Cipro, I've also been on Cipro a lot, especially when I was little and had bladder infections. I think I'm anthrax resistant by now

Tags
ear infection, emergency vet, guinea pig, prairie dog, prairie dogs, regular vet, sugar glider, sugar gliders