a majority of the problems with Baytril are improper dosing of the drug, and improper use of the drug. This is why it is so critical to have a vet that knows that the dose of Baytril is NOT the same as a guinea pig, or a rabbit, and the vet needs to be well trained with the exotics.
At work we have used Baytril in animals,and our store vet gives us the minimal dose that he possibly can, and then if it hasn't cleared up in a week, then he SLIGHTLY raises the dosage. Just like people, some animals are allergic to certain drugs, and as of now, you can't really test a small animal for medicinal allergies. So that is another reason why pets have died due to Baytril. I have never had to use it on any of my pets, but I have heard the horror stories of improper dosages or diagnoses. I have also seen the good side of the drug, however I still hope I never have to use it.