been thinking about getting another chin - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

been thinking about getting another chin

i have one male chinchilla named chilli i've had him for about a year i rescured him from a humane shelter. he's about 3 years old. he lives in a large 3 story house with lots of room for another chincilla. i've been thinking about getting another male (i don't want babies) chinchilla for him to be freinds with but i'm not sure if they would get along. do male chins get along with other male chins???? if he's been alone for 3 years would he accept a new chin in his house???? thanks everyone for your opionion

why breed or buy when shelter animals die

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

home to:
1 dog a pit bull named Troy and a border collie/golden retrever/boxer mix named Amber

and 7 cats (Butterfly, Furchol, Carmel, Nova, Hope, Shaddy& Christian)

3 rats Flora, Fauna, & Merryweather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 11:22 PM
Oily Chickenspew

usually they are ok w/same sex friends you would just have to slowly introduce them and watch them to make sure they don't fight....

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 12:19 AM
Adolescent Pup

You'll need another cage. They will have to live side by side for a while, and it could take months of getting used to each other with the possibility of them never getting along. You have to be prepared for that. But I would say go for it! I have two chins currently and I definately want more. Just research putting them together, and hopefully your chin will want a buddy.

There is no one TRUE way

* Chloe * Jinx * Berry *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

thanks i'm not 100% sure about this yet because i don't have room for another cage and i have a dog that is aggressive with small fluffy animals (like chins) i mean he's in his cage when i take chilli out and he's ok with that and chilli's cage is out of his reach but i'm not sure if i can find another spot for another cage high up my husband is also going to be totally aganist the idea my only way of getting it to happen is haveing the two of them in the same cage.

home to:
1 dog a pit bull named Troy and a border collie/golden retrever/boxer mix named Amber

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 08:41 AM
Oily Chickenspew

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbullforever
thanks i'm not 100% sure about this yet because i don't have room for another cage and i have a dog that is aggressive with small fluffy animals (like chins) i mean he's in his cage when i take chilli out and he's ok with that and chilli's cage is out of his reach but i'm not sure if i can find another spot for another cage high up my husband is also going to be totally aganist the idea my only way of getting it to happen is haveing the two of them in the same cage.

tell ur husband that they could EVENTUALLY live together and you could build a shelf or something of the sort to keep the chin cages high away from your dog. just my thoughts.... you have to make the ultimate decision

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 03:05 PM
Adolescent Pup

Putting two chins together right away can be a health risk or could cause a fight.

There are methods of introducing them. Heres a couple sites that can help.

http://www.huggablepets.com/huggable...ingchins.shtml
http://chinchillacymru.co.uk/chinintro.htm

NaTaLiE

Setsuki (std) Coolio (bv) Butters (pw) & Diamond (sap) the chinchillas
Mortimer the cat
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

thanks

home to:

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 08:02 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Another suggestion would be to get a young male. Chins tend to get along better when their new buddy is somewhat still a baby.

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 08:19 PM
Adolescent Pup

No matter what, if you decide to get another chin, you will HAVE to have two cages for some period of time; you need to keep the new chin completely seperate from you current chin for about 30 days to make sure he is healthy, and to give him time to adjust to his new enviroment.

I agree with Mandie about getting a young male, most older chins will more readily accept a younger, just weaned, chin than an older one.

~Misty~

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

thanks everyone i decided that this isn't the right time to bring a new pet of any kind into my life but maybe someday i'll get another chin.

home to: