Bert's Eye... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Buffalokisser

pic test

Ok, the pics come first (I'm just getting used to this so I'm lucky they even wound up in the right place, lol!). Thank you for doing the pics for me punx!
And last but not least, no I am not strangling Bert in the second pic, he's given up and flopped down, lol. ***edited by Becki***

Stephanie
Be who you are and say what you feel
Because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind

check out my blog:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Punxatawny; 10-17-2007 at 05:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Buffalokisser

next one

Stephanie
Be who you are and say what you feel
Because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind

check out my blog:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Punxatawny; 10-17-2007 at 05:58 PM.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 04:34 AM

Bert's eye...again...

A while back Bert had an eye infection...after seeing the vet and clearing it up with gentamycin, a small bump remained over his eye. It started out hardly noticeable...looked like and eyebrow, but i've been keeping an eye on it and it has been very slowly growing (so slow I didn't even notice that it had gotten so big till I compared old pics to new). It's hard and until the last day or so has not affected his eye at all, it's been open wide and clear but about 2 days ago his eye was slightly droopy...no goobers. Right now, I'm trying the gentamycin drops to see if they help, if not there WILL be a vet trip, I am just trying to deal with it myself since I typically know as much or more than the vet, AND at the moment I don't have a car with A/C. Anyhow, any ideas what it might be? it's hard, not hot, no hair loss, and apparently not sensitive. Here's some pics..it's not as bad as the pictures make it look cuz I'd just mussed his hair giving eye drops, but you can get the Idea...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 10:20 AM

I can't see a lump (knot) I just see mussed up fur above his eye. I would recommend that you call the vet and talk to him (her) about it, it might not be nothing to worry about.

I have found that Terramycin ointment works great for chinnies. I keep a tube of it here now.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 02:36 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Can you move the lump or is it stuck to one place? Feel hard and round like a BB?

Most likely a cyst or lipoma (fatty tumor - not that your chin is fat!!) but I would have the dr take a look ASAP, especially since it it growing.

Critter AKA Dr. Mom

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 09:08 PM

I think it's his eyelid swollen up, I'm not absolutely positive though. It's hard and attached, no moving it (except to pull the whole eyelid up), and its more like a lump than round... I'm gonna give him till monday, the drops seem to working a little bit. What is that ointment good for Sassy? eye infections? I may have to get some of that.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 10:30 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Terramycin is a form of tetracycline and is used to treat a broad range of bacterial infections. It's usually what is given to kittens who have that "goopy" eye infection.

You just want to be careful when it comes to anything to do with eye problems - after all, the little critter only has 2!! (And I have a dog who only has one.)

Critter

CRITTERCALL

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 10:55 PM

He looks so sad. I hope he gets to feeling better. I to would take him to the vet to get him checked out.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 08:12 PM

I took Bert to the vet today, the vet pulled his eyelid back and we could see the lump...it was nasty! He thinks it's either a tumor or cyst, we're hoping for a cyst so it can simply be drained, but they have to do a needle aspiration to find out if it's liquid or solid, and they have to knock him out to do that. Then they'll do a biopsy while he's asleep and see if it needs to be surgically removed(with a laser)...if it does, they'll do it right then so they don't have to put him out again. So then I get the estimate...498 to 715 depending on whether or not they need to use the laser!! ACK! They do payments, but 50% of the estimate is due when you walk in the door.
Has anyone heard of of this stuff I got to relieve the irritation (drops)? It's; Neomycin and Polymyxin Bsulfates and Dexamethasone Ophthalmis suspension

I'll try and get some pics of his eye and post 'em tonite now that I know how to show it. Any comments/suggestions?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 08:23 PM

I have used those drops on my one chinchilla Mumruff the vet gave them to her because she is allergenic to the regular chin dust, they seem to relieve the irritation.

I am sorry to hear that he may have to have it removed, I hope that it is only a cyst. Keep us updated!

(((HUGS)))
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 08:37 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Becki - that's a combo of anitibiotics (neomycin & polymycin B sulfates) with some steroids dexamethasone) thrown in. I'm sure you are aware that the steroids actually just "mask" the symptoms so that the chin will feel better, while the antibiotics will do their work on helping to clear infection.

Hope it's only a cyst. Laser surgery is SO expensive, but espeially with the chin it would be great. He'll be under anesthesia a lot less time because it is so quick and the healing time is quicker too.

Shall we start sending you our spare dimes?? I know how it is to be kicked with a bill like that - and they really get you with the exotics!

Good luck - let me know how it goes.

CRITTERCALL

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 09:22 PM

I'm really hoping it can just be drained, but it feels pretty hard to me. Critter, thanks for the info on the drops! It is just to relieve the irritation b/c it's started to bother him, he's started rubbing it on the bars and getting so into it he flips over . That's so funny that you mention the dimes, I have a chinchilla fund that's all change, I've used it in the past to buy chins and this time I was hoping to buy a couple of cages (that extra change adds up!) but this time it'll go to Bert's eye.

Here's a picture, it's pretty fuzzy but I think you'll see what I'm talking about. The red is the lump under his eyelid, when you pull the eyelid back it kinda pops out...that's not his eye, and it really looks more pink/white than red.

Off to go roll change...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fromjade.jpg (21.4 KB, 37 views)
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 02:06 AM

Becki I know what it means to be kicked in the butt vet bill wise! Care is expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!Good luck and i will hope it just needs drained!
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 02:31 AM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Don't mean to be a pessimist but my money (so to say) is on the cyst.

The first year we were in KY the holidays were such a PITA that I started saving dimes in a special kitty cat bank so that the next year we could go to the Bahamas. Well we haven't made it to the Bahamas yet but I've emptied the bank twice, bought a pair of boots once that I just HAD to have and currently have that full of dimes and a big pottery soup turreen half full of assorted change. I need on of those banks that sorts it for you!! Bubba is the kind who just empties his pockets the minute he gets home from work and the change mysterisouly disappers.

Well, since I've been asleep since before midnight (rare for me!) and I woke up at 2:30 am to if anything was going on with this critter does this make me an idiot or a caring idiot?

((((hugs))))

CRITTERCALL

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 03:15 AM

change mysteriously dissappears around here too. I just rolled up all that (filthy) change and came up with just about $200!! So now I'm trying to find a credit card that will approve quickly to make up the rest...I'm hoping we won't have to spend all the x-mas money but hey, either way it will get taken care of! I just can't seem to get ahead, the best I can do is almost caught up
I think you're a caring critter! Thanks for the concern!

Tags
ear infection, hair loss, vet visit, vet visits