Bert's eye, round 2
I've finally, after much asking around on my part and the vet's, shedualed surgery #2 for Bert. The thing is, neither I nor the vet really know what to do for him, the cyst is on his eyeball and it is now a little bigger than his eye! The options are 1) go in with a laser and "shave" the whole thing off layer by layer. 2) go in and drain the cyst and cut a small hole so that the fluid drains out if/when it comes back 3) remove the whole eye. We could also keep draining it, but last time that only worked for about 2 weeks, he has to be anesthetized to do it, and it cost $300 so that's not REALLY an option. The risk for the first 2 options are the incision on the eyeball healing to the lid, heat exposure to the eye(especially for #1) and anaesthesia time. So rationally I'm thinking that maybe taking the whole thing out might be the best idea to avoid all the possiblities and another surgery BUT I am really having a hard time saying I'm tired of dealing with this, make him half blind... so more from the heart I'm thinking option 2 but with that theres still the healing risk, infection risk, and its really still there so god only knows what it will do. Option 1 sounds the most ideal, but there are alot of if's involved that could make things much worse. No vet seems to have ever heard of a cyst growing on an eye (chinchilla or otherwise) before so the decision is pretty much in my hands. As it stands right now, the vet is going to go in and look around and do whichever seems best... that's a little too open ended for me! What do you guys think?? I need some guidance here experiance or not.. thanks for listening!