Bird cage? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Bird cage?

I've wanted to buy my chins a new cage since I don't care much for their temporary one. I want them to have more space. They are in a one level critter nation. I was going to purchase another critter nation for them but have found that the bar spacing keeps breaking where ever a ledge/wheel/anything really is hanging, from them jumping.

Amazon has the ferret nation and I was going to get that since the bars look a little stronger. I don't really have the $200 but decided, wth, suck up the cost and deal with it. However, I remembered that I have a birdcage up in the attic from my green cheeked conure who died 4 years ago. I always looked at selling it, but have seen that many people modify bird cages to be chin cages. Take out wire bottom, add shelving, etc. I'm now excited since that could potentially be money that I don't have to spend, with the exception of adding shelves, but I'd have had to done that with the ferret nation anyway. What do you guys think, can a bird cage work if done correctly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I can't post links or pictures but if you go to Google type in "dual level bird house" it should be the first result (either web or image result)
  • Exterior Dimensions: Width 36½" Depth 27" Height 63"
  • Interior Dimensions: Width 36¼" Depth 26½" Height 52¾"
  • Bar Spacing: 0.897" (9/10")
  • Bar Thickness: 3.5mm (1/7")
I'm only asking because I don't want to do wrong by my little guys. But I think it might make a comfy home!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 10:37 AM
Betta Bomb

I don't know much about birds OR chins but I'm sure you can find chinnie forums who have plans and procedures for converting a bird cage? I go by the rule that more space = happiness. It is if you include stimulation and things for climbing and I think chins are mountain critters?? Maybe you could build them a Cardboard mountain?? Something tall and has a lot of ledges. In my mind that sounds cool, but like I said I don't know chins. I think they're really cutr and I think it's great that you want to give them more space. Let us know how you decide what to do. If you sold the first Temp cage you could use the funds to buy the stuff for shelves in the other cage!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I decided last night that I was going to go for it. It is an expensive cage and just to be sitting there all this time is an absolute waste. Not to mention I've freed up a good bit of space in my attic. I've already starting brainstorming on how I want shelves, ledges, ramps, and maybe a top hut made out of wood. I'm so excited.

My completely non-handy boyfriend (although he did change my oil) has a dad who loves tools so he said he would attempt (notice not an infinite yes, but more of gamble) to build me what I want. He totally sounded like he knew what he was talking about and how to do what I wanted, but the finished product is a whole other story. Lol. With me and my almost perfectionist nature, it's going to be a tough job. I'll post pictures when done!

First on the agenda is locating kiln dried pine.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

On that note, does anyone know where you can buy kiln dried pine? I went today to Home Depot and Lowes and BOTH said they didn't carry it. Is it under a different name?

I have to admit, I'm glad about this day and age in the internet. It is so nice to be able to get information and do things right. Not only that but go out there informed. The guy at HD said they didn't carry it but then asked what I wanted to do. I responded with building shelves for chinchillas so I needed the KD Pine, because it's untreated and safe. He then said, oh, come with me you can use this. MDF is great for shelves, these will work well for your guys. In case you didn't know MDF stands for medium density fiber wood. When I told him it wouldn't work he asked me why not. I said because if they chew on it, it might be toxic and he goes, "oh right, because of the glue." /facepalm

Anyway, I don't want to have to buy shelves because I was excited about making my own. Does KD Pine come under any other names? I saw Poplar wood and read that was safe, but I'm hesitant.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Betta Bomb

I would ask Jess and Dragon for sure. Two of them know about it... Sasami might....
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Finished it!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Betta Bomb

WOW!!! Lucky chins! great job on the transfer
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 10:34 AM
Part of the Pack

Ooh I like it!!! If you don't want a big mess on the floor you should add some "poop guards" haha. I just made mine from thin pine wood. They eventually get chewed off but are easy to replace. That is much nicer than I was anticipating good work!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 10:54 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

wow lucky chins

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks guys! You aren't kidding Nik, it turned out even better than I thought too. The hut has a hinge on top so I can get to them that way as well. Also, we lined around the bottom and the opening of the hut with sheet metal so that they can't chew through it and escape (not to mention it will make the life of the hut that much longer). I don't mind remaking shelves but my b/f and his dad spent a lot of time on that one. It's all natural as well; made out of non-toxic glue and biscuits.

I bought a chin spin (which is humongous) and am getting my fleece items in sometime this week. I'm going to end up putting them in a corner which will help on two sides with poop throwing and then an easy pickup or vacuuming with the other side. I'll look into making guards though on the shelves. I'll post pics when their corner is done as I'm going to deck it out.