Biting on cage?? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Biting on cage??

I have a chinchilla, smitty, whos probably about 3 years old. Recently, he started biting on his cage. I let him out everyday in a ball for at least an hour, and before I do that I hold and play with him, so i dont think hes biting on his cage from boredom or lack of attention. He has plenty of food, hay, water, and a ton of stuff to chew on!! I dont understand why he is biting on his cage! When he starts biting, I go to hold him and he jumps into my arms and then starts biting the cage on the outside!! Any ideas why hes doing this? Any advice/ comments/ suggestions would be great. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Part of the Pack

Throw away that ball immediately. Chinchilla's can suffocate or overheat in those! I do not have an answer to your other question though. But really, please, don't put him in that ball anymore unless you want to end up with a dead chinny Try let him running around in a chinny proof room. With nothing that he can chew on laying around especially cords...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Yeah but dont they make balls for chinchillas? Its a big ball, and when he goes in there, hes fine. He doesnt roll around a whole lot, and the spaces in the ball are large enough so hes getting enough air.... ill try letting him run around my room but i have cords everywhere and the last thing i want him to do is get shocked... does anyone else put their chinchilla in a ball for exercise??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 09:14 PM

He is excited and wants to come out. He knows play time is soon. My babies all do that. They just hope you take them out. They may have everything in there, but they love to just bite the cage and watch me, then they get all happy to come out. It is nothing big. Just a chin thing...
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 08:20 AM
Will It Ever Change?

i've had many critters and they've all chewed the bars. they know that when they chew, i show up to see what's going on or if they need anything. our critters are all smart, they know chewing=attention lol

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 09:01 AM
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahach1k View Post
Yeah but dont they make balls for chinchillas? Its a big ball, and when he goes in there, hes fine. He doesnt roll around a whole lot, and the spaces in the ball are large enough so hes getting enough air.... ill try letting him run around my room but i have cords everywhere and the last thing i want him to do is get shocked... does anyone else put their chinchilla in a ball for exercise??

If you want to kill your chinchilla, go ahead. Many people that are experienced with chinchillas can back me up on this one. Let your chinchilla run around in your bathroom WITH THE TOILET SEAT DOWN. No, they don't make balls for chinchillas, theres no ventilation. They will suffocate, or overheat and die. Chinchilla's die in extreme temperatures over 74F, if it's exceding that you're putting your chinny on it's death bed. I keep my room at around 64F for my girl. Please, do your chinchilla a favor, for the sake of his life, throw the ball away. Let her run around in a chinny safe room.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ChinnyMom; 02-11-2008 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Gender confustion, thought it was a girl
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Part of the Pack

I'm sorry if I sounded too harsh with my previous post, but I just wouldn't want to see anything bad happen to your little chinny Chinchilla's are my life and I just want to help.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinnyMom View Post
If you want to kill your chinchilla, go ahead. Many people that are experienced with chinchillas can back me up on this one. Let your chinchilla run around in your bathroom WITH THE TOILET SEAT DOWN. No, they don't make balls for chinchillas, theres no ventilation. They will suffocate, or overheat and die. Chinchilla's die in extreme temperatures over 74F, if it's exceding that you're putting your chinny on it's death bed. I keep my room at around 64F for my girl. Please, do your chinchilla a favor, for the sake of his life, throw the ball away. Let her run around in a chinny safe room.
They do show a picture of a chinchilla on the ball thats why i bought it..... but ill try letting him run around in my room, but i've tried that before and its SO hard to catch him. He stands up and hisses and me.... but i'll throw away the ball.... what about a wheel? Could I get a big wheel and put it in his cage? He'll stay have play time running around, but I mean for like night time when Im trying to sleep he'll have something to keep himself occupied.

And thank you everyone else! I didnt know if there was something wrong with him or not lol.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 11:29 PM
Adolescent Pup

I'm with ChinnyMom on this one. The ball is bad chinchilla over heat very easily. You say "He doesn't roll around a whole lot" its probably cause he's staring to feel over heated.

We're not trying to be mean, we just don't want your baby to die.

Also have you ever thought of get him a play pen? they work really great my boys have one and it works really great.

Kyo &
Krypto
1 poodle - Kitty
1 Mini Dachshund - Ivy

Last edited by Zack_the_Mouse; 02-12-2008 at 11:35 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

okk thank you for the advice, ill def keep him out of his ball, i dont want him to die =( And no Zack_The_Mouse I've never thought about that, but now that you mention it I think i might try that, thankss!!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Adolescent Pup

Marshall makes play pens for ferrets but they work great for chinchillas

Kyo &
Krypto
1 poodle - Kitty
1 Mini Dachshund - Ivy

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 04:49 PM

I have two giant balls for my chinchillas and they are fine in them. The love them. But I do recomend you only keep your chin in it for 30 mins.
I do the the same as you I put my chins in the down stairs toilet and let them run about in there and jump all over me. Try using your toilet or bathroom to let your chin have more playtime
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 04:52 PM

Also the balls have lots of ventalation, eachgap is about 3mm thick.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 09:41 AM
Part of the Pack

Quote:
okk thank you for the advice, ill def keep him out of his ball, i dont want him to die =( And no Zack_The_Mouse I've never thought about that, but now that you mention it I think i might try that, thankss!!

I just wanted to say thank you for being willing to take advice. Alot of newer chinchilla owners are stubborn and will not take advice from people who are just trying to do what is best for their, and other peoples chinchillas

With the play pen, be careful, chinchillas can jump very high and will escape. You can cover just the top of the pen and you should be fine

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 09:50 AM
Part of the Pack

Thumbs up

Quote:
They do show a picture of a chinchilla on the ball thats why i bought it..... but ill try letting him run around in my room, but i've tried that before and its SO hard to catch him. He stands up and hisses and me.... but i'll throw away the ball.... what about a wheel? Could I get a big wheel and put it in his cage? He'll stay have play time running around, but I mean for like night time when Im trying to sleep he'll have something to keep himself occupied.

And thank you everyone else! I didnt know if there was something wrong with him or not lol.

Just because there is a chinchilla on the box, packaging, ect. does not mean it is okay for your chinchilla. Unfortunately there is alot of things out there that is supposedly "made for chinchillas, or SAFE FOR CHINCHILLAS" but really, it puts your chinchilla in risk. Such as the "Super Pet Chinchilla Starter Cage" Plastic is deadly to chinchillas if injested, it can clog up the digestive system, and is fatal. You can definitely get a wheel for your little guy, as long it is NOT PLASTIC. Quality cages makes the best wheels for chinchillas out there, a bit pricey, but for the sake of your chinchillas life, it is necessary. I can guarentee you will not be sorry I suggest the Chin-Spin or the Flying Saucer - http://www.qualitycage.com/exwheels.html please make sure, if you decide to get one of these, get the 15 inch, as the 12 inch is too small.