bored chinchilla - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

bored chinchilla

Hey everyone! Just recently my female chin has become bored. She has been pulling around her dish (spilling most of her food) and I even had to take her chiller out because she keeps knocking it on the floor. She has a critter kabob to chew on and I occasionally give her an apple stick to chew on, but I have taken away her tolit paper and paper towel tubes because I read on another forum that they are not very good for chins because if the chins digest to much it can be harmful. She also had a wheel, but I had to get rid of it because it was plastic and I was informed that plastic wheels can be dangerous, ie flying off and trapping chins, and then there is the digesting to much plastic issue. Any suggestions on toys or any other chew items would be appreciated. Also if you know of any other sites that carry good items that is around the Wisconsin area that would help to. The pets stores around here do not carry many items (if any) for chins. Thanks for your help
~Kellie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 08:20 AM
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

Are you concerned with the glue on the toilet paper rolls?
If so you can buy the cardboard rolls that people ship posters in or that carpet comes rolled on. Those don't contain any glue.

If you are concerned about them eating the paper, there is nothing wrong with that, its just like human children eating paper, it does digest.

You can buy or making hanging toys for your chin, and clip them on at different levels (i.e. from the ceiling, from the side near to ceiling and from the side a little lower) all around the cage.

Also one thing i've found that chins like are shiny objects. Buy some florists wire from michaels, and go to home depot and buy some washers and nuts and also some keyrings and you can wrap the wire around them to make hanging toys out of those as well. I wrap the wire around each object (and sometimes two) every 2 inches or so. I placed this in a cage with a fur chewer and hes been so busy playing with that and his wooden toys he has stopped.
You can also place the chiller on her floor, you may have to wash it once in a while but atleast she'll have it.
If you have metal (wire) shelves you can use on of those really big binder clips to clip it to the shelf.

Alicyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 09:52 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

make sure the nuts are big enough that they cant choke on them, also if your concerned about the glue on the toilet paper tubes (i know i was) you might try a different brand of tissue, some dont have glue on them, we use a generic tissue from Dollar general, cuz it doesnt have any glue on the roll, and its rather cheap too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 07:46 PM
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

I'm sorry, i meant nuts as in nuts and bolts. I don't recommend giving actual food nuts to chinchillas at all.

Alicyn

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Im not sure if I understand how to make those nuts and bolts toys...do you have a picture of what they look like?

I think I may get a couple of more critter ka bobs and put various things on it (salt savors, fruity bites, bark bites, lava bites, and apple sticks) and hanging them around the cage. Is any of the things I mentioned not recomended for chins?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 08:44 AM
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

My camera isn't working right now so i just hand drew a picture. Its not the best and not to scale but i think you can see it. I use those little butterfly like things that you use to attach bowls to the chins cages and wooden shelves and such. But any random pieces of metal (that are round and not sharp) would do.
I also use those little clips that people have for keychains to attach it to the cage.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toy.JPG (15.8 KB, 9 views)

Alicyn

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Ok now I have an idea of what it looks like. Do they chew on it (and then find out they can't), or just play with it??? It does sound like something I'd like to do for her.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 07:03 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchilla Gal
I think I may get a couple of more critter ka bobs and put various things on it (salt savors, fruity bites, bark bites, lava bites, and apple sticks) and hanging them around the cage. Is any of the things I mentioned not recomended for chins?
Good idea. I have at least 3 hanging in each cage, and you can replace anything that has been chewed down. Mine love their kabobs. You can also place brach bites around the cage for them to. Not only do I hang lava bites, I also break them in half and place them around the cage. They have small stuffed animals too. (I cut off the whiskers, tails and tags so they don't get chewed) My little female loves her stuffed mouse. She carries it around with her in her mouth. (Like a dog! )

Does your chin have a wheel, does she get regular excersise time outside the cage? Those are big factors in reducing boredom as well.

You may also want to try (I think it's called) Nut Nibbler. It's like a wood ball puzzle, they have to chew to get to the nut in the middle. I have tried these and they are pretty good. You just have to keep an eye out and remove the nut once they get closer to the center. Nuts aren't really good for them.

There is no one TRUE way

* Chloe * Jinx * Berry *
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 09:45 PM
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

mine actually try to play tug o war with it, they push it around, sometimes try to chew. it distracts them.

Alicyn

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Hailey's wheel got tossed, it was plastic and she chewed on it alot but she does get time to run around every day. I was thinking about getting a wheel from quality cages, I have heard good things about them. Thanks for the vaious tips!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 03:03 PM
Adolescent Pup

Chin Spins work well. I have two and they are fairly quiet. It depends on the type of cage you have.

NaTaLiE

Setsuki (std) Coolio (bv) Butters (pw) & Diamond (sap) the chinchillas
Mortimer the cat

Tags
stuffed animal, stuffed animals