Boy vs. girl? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Boy vs. girl?

I was wondering if there is any difference in behavior between males and females? Like is one more affectionate? Calmer? stinky?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 11:22 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Well, in the wild the female is the dominant sex. So they might have a tendency to be a bit more nasty to each other.

But I don't think you'll find any difference in their behavior, or anything else, when you get one or two pet chinchillas.
Their personallity depends on how their parents are. So if you've got an aggressiv mother or farther, you'll probably get an aggressive baby. If the parents are nervouse, the baby will be nervouse and so on...

I've only had 3 males and some male kids, but they seem to be a bit more friendly. Our 5 girls are a bit more reserved than our boys.
But all in all they all behave more or less the same, if you don't know them

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 02:27 PM

I think it depends on the chin. I have 2 sets of chinchillas and in 1 cage my male runs the show, the female follows him around and when he eats the female follows. In the other cage my female is more dominant and she kind of runs the show, when she is pregnant she makes my male stay on the top of the cage and she controls the bottom portion. It is fun to watch. Neither smell more. They are very clean animals and smell quite good actually! As for affection, I don't think it matters either. If you want them to be more affectionate with you, you kind of have to handle them from day 1. But all of my chinchillas are very affectionate with each other and people, just don't expect them to cuddle up on your lap and relax all day. I have 2 that do that but they have been held for hours a day every day since birth...some are different. All chinnies have their own personalities!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 05:37 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi View Post
Their personallity depends on how their parents are.
Genetics have a lot to do with temperament so each chin is different. However if I had to chose male or female as a pet I would chose a male.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 09:26 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckane View Post
Genetics have a lot to do with temperament so each chin is different. However if I had to chose male or female as a pet I would chose a male.
I'm not just talking about genetics.
The baby chinchillas will also learn behavior from their parents. So if you've got an aggressive male or female, you should never breed him/her, because whe he/she takes care of the kinds, they will pick up on that behavior...

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 02:13 PM

Chinchi is right, however, there is no real difference in attitude between the genders. Some males are friendly, some are not, same goes with females. If the kit is from aggressive parents, then it will more than likely pick up thier attitude, but to answer your question no there is no known behavioral difference between the genders.

Matt