Break - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

View Poll Results: (Votes are public)
1 month 0 0%
2 months 3 37.50%
3 months 5 62.50%
4 months 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

Break

How long does everyone give their females between litters?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 11:17 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

well, it depends..... minimum is usually 2 months. Depending on the female and the litter size.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 01:02 PM
Irregular and Proud!

I used to give about 3 months, when I was breeding Mike and Alice. Of course, she just seemed to conveniently go into heat after 12 weeks, not at 8 weeks.

Patti

Back in NC again! (Army wife and proud!)
Chinnies: Maureen, Max, and Muad'Dib
Cats: Daphne (who says, I only play with mousie toys with a string tail and a bell.)
And introducing: Tasselhof and Kittira (Hubbie's childhood cats, who are 10 and 9 repectively)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 04:40 PM
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

I figure I'll give her a month after her babies are weaned. Then I would stick her in with a male, but my luck they never get preggers till over a month after being with a boy.

Alicyn

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

I think I'm gonna go with the 2 month mark, depending on how my chins do with their litters.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 02:28 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

I know nothing about chins, so this is just a 'naive' question....

Does breeding them in such a short time between litters, not affect their health?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 03:24 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

A lot of big ranchers strive for breedback meaning they want the females to get pregnant again right after giving birth...I'm sure it does drain them and I wouldn't do it, but they continue to produce healthy kits if the mothers are strong and healthy themselves. Again, I wouldn't personally do that...I have 2 kids that are 6 days short of a year apart...I often wish I had had a break, but that wasn't the case. I wouldn't wish that on anyone, 2 legs or 4! I'll probably give my females 3-4 months inbetween pregnancies, that way they can rebuild their resources and ensure their health.

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 03:50 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I prefer to give my females at least 2 months after weaning kits to rebuild their resources, etc. Nicole, chinchillas will go into heat immediately after giving birth and if they get pregnant at that point, a female is nursing kits as well as pregnant at the same time. I typically separate my females before they give birth to prevent this, then re-introduce the father a week later. They will go into heat again 30-40 days after the kits are born and if it's her first litter or she's had a break, I'll allow them to mate. If it's time for a break, I'll separate them. I try to keep a close eye on heat cycles so I'm able to do this.

I heard somewhere that ranchers allow 5 kits per year or something similar, I'm not certain. The 5 kits could be 5 litters or 2 litters was my understanding.

Then again, I just had a friend lose a very dear chin who had 5 week old kits to pyometra and a uterine wall tear. The vet said it was from over breeding, but I know this breeder watches her chins carefully and would never purposely over breed them. It's a tough decision to make.

Stephanie

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

So, Jade, you give all your females atleast a 2 month period between births? Im thinking I read your post wrong....

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 08:28 PM
Adolescent Pup

After having and raising a litter, I give my girls six months before they can mate again- I have many females, so I have them in three groups- when one group is bred, I wait a month, then separate them from the males, then put the second group with the males...

http://chinchilla.meetup.com

For those who understand the mystery, no explanation is necessary. For those that do not, none is possible.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 08:39 PM
Fertile Myrtle

Rocheal, Jade said 2 months after weaning before she'll let them be bred again - and I would do the same.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

Sounds good to me.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 10:42 AM
Fluffy Potatokisser

I also agree with Jade, especially since it is just me caring for the chins and dogs and kids...Shane works a lot. I figured if I can work it so I only have 1 litter to worry about at a time...I should be good. Now, if I had like, 4 litters at the same time and all needed to be rotated and supplemented...I would have to hire a helper! Of course, I don't work right now, so I COULD manage, but why do that to myself? It's pretty easy to regulate who has the opportunity to breed when. All it takes is separating males from females. I also made sure I have enough cages so everyone can have their own if need be, with extra cages on hand at all times for weaned kits until they are sold. I haven't put any of my chins into breeding yet, but making sure to cover all the bases before hand is very important to me. Not just cage wise, but vet funds put aside, experienced chin vet not 2 miles from my house, medical supplies on hand, and all of you here and at other forums to help me if the need should arise. The Shoots chins are the only ones here old enough and large enough to breed right now, so after York, I may open 1 breeding hole for about 3 months, then close it off, and open the second for about 3 months, close that off and open the third for about 3 months. By then, Jetta should be old enough and large enough to introduce to Kir! I figure if I rotate through who breeds when, I should have sufficient time to take care of everyone, get them used to being handled, and off to a healthy start. I'm not trying to mass produce chinchillas! LOL! I want them all to go to wonderful forever homes, and that takes time.

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

Wow!! Sounds like you've got everything ready to breed! Great thinking.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 07:54 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

LOL, I'm a planner! But of course, impatient! LOL, I have to wait until after the York show because the chins will be going with me! LOL

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at

Tags
heat cycle