breeding - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Question breeding

My husband and I have 3 chinchillas, all females, and we're considering buying a male chinchilla. We're curious about breeding and whether it's a good idea or not. Our biggest concern is the girls, will our girls die earlier if they are bred?? Also, if we do decide to get the male and breed, at what age can they start (our girls are only 10 wks)?? We have a lot of room for the babies if we can't find a home for them and we're more than happy to have lots of chins!! The male we are looking to buy is white and he has a grey spot on his neck, and our girls are just grey. What would the babies look like??
Please give me some tips if anyone can
We love our chins a bunch and if breeding them takes years away we definately won't buy the male
Thanks in advance!!

~*~ Kandy's Chinnies ~*~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chilla, our female

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Twin boys, Cadbury and Punkin
Casper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 10:47 PM
Part of the Pack

Kandy, I don't really advocate breeding chins, unless you have the best possible stock you can get, a terrific vet you can take them to in case of emergency, and a large savings account set up for vet bills. I personally don't breed chins (never have) because there are so many already looking for homes and I don't want to deal with the complications of birth, handfeeding, and death at this time.

Breeding any animal is a huge responsibility and even though there are rewards, there are also great losses. It is commendable you are doing your research beforehand, as there are many things to consider. Are you willing to lose your girls to delivery complications? Are you willing to handfeed every 2h around the clock if the kits are weak or motherless? Are you willing to keep all kits until they can be placed in good homes? It's a lot to consider.

Where did you get your girls from? Do they have a good pedigree at least three generations back with no history of malocclusion or other genetic problems? At this point they are much too young to breed. You need to wait until they are at least one year of age to even consider it. By that point, you might realize they do not have the best physical features (i.e. blocky, good weight, nice conformation, nice color, fur density etc.) worth passing on to future generations. This is not to say your chins aren't cute, they ALL are cute, but only a select few should be bred.

This is just the tip of the iceburg when it comes to breeding chins. I would recommend you read everything you can before deciding to buy that male. Go to chin shows so you can get an idea of what quality means in a chin. Talk to other breeders or ranchers. You have at least a year to do your research, so get informed as much as possible. Best of luck to you.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 11:40 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/artic...ticle&artid=16
Mandie has written a very detailed article including a lot of pertinent information for anyone considering it. Kim is very right in everything she mentioned above and I completely agree.

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Well, my husband decided that we will get the boy chinchilla and we got him last night. After reading up on breeding and such we decided that we will just get him neutered, and still leave him with the 2 girls. Thank you Plummie for your concerns and input, and thank you Jade for the link it helped us very much.

Our girls also say thank too and give chinchilla kisses to both of you.

~*~ Kandy's Chinnies ~*~

Chilla, our female

Casper.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 12:54 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

I agree with Kim completely. Everyone and their uncle wants me to breed my chins, but you know what? I don't want to. For all of the reasons Kim has mentioned. Granted, I would rotate out kits and handfeed in a heartbeat, but I've lost four chinchillas in the last two years, and let me tell you, it's heartbreaking. Two of them were kits. I don't ever want to go through that again.

And the fact that there are many people out there who do not do their research and buy a chinchilla on a whim (yes, I'm talking about customers where I work) scares me. I don't want someone buying my chinchilla and abusing him/her, neglecting them, etc.

Karen

[

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 02:42 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandy
After reading up on breeding and such we decided that we will just get him neutered, and still leave him with the 2 girls.
Does this mean he is in with them currently? I HIGHLY recomend that you keep them seperated. While it is rare, chinchillas can get pregnant very early, 12-16 weeks. Please keep them seperated until his is nuetered. Also, if this chinchilla came from a different breeder, he really should be quarintined away from the others for 4-8 weeks.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 04:57 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Another article you'll want to read before scheduling the neuter:
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13900

Stephanie

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Red face

He is currently in with the others, and aww but they're having so much fun in there!! I don't want to take him out Oh well, gotta do what I gotta do Also, if I put him in a cage now, can i put them in the room with the girls? Would it be unfair for him to see them running around freely? Would he feel like im punishing him? And if I watch him, can I let him out with the girls to play?

Another question now, I seen in the artical that I shouldn't get him neutered until he is 1 yr old, is this true?? Do we really have to wait that long? It seems like a long time for him to be alone. The vet told me that we should bring him in at 6-8 months when he reaches sexual maturity (but I trust you guys more after all you are the real chin experts!!)

Thank you so much for all your help!!!

~*~ Kandy's Chinnies ~*~

Chilla, our female

Casper.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 07:53 AM
Tiny Grosskisser

Neutering is a very hard thing for chins to deal with.

I adopted three chinchillas from a shelter. The boys were neutered. To make a long story short, daddy chin ended up swelling to the size of a golf ball. Almost five hundred dollars later, I'm thankful he's still alive. The first place didn't do a darn thing for him (the emergency vet that charged us four hundred dollars for nothing!) and my regular vet charged us only ninety something dollars and they performed surgery on him! They're the ones that saved him!

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I'm sharing my personal experience. I know Jade (who probably posted the link above) has also had a horrid experience with a neuter.

Karen

[

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 08:44 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I have had no experiance with nuetering so I can't say on the age. But Jade knows her stuff.
I would not let the male and females play together as mating can occur in just a split second. I'm sure everyone here has seen atleast one 'oops' post, if not many. It's not cruel to have them in the same room though. If it was all my guys would hate me by now He might sulk a bit initialy, but lots of one on one with him will make him forget all about it.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 03:41 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'd wait until about 8 months. I can't stress how important it is to find an experienced vet and watch very, very closely.

Stephanie

Tags
emergency vet, regular vet