breeding chinchillas - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

breeding chinchillas

Hi
I have 3 male chinchillas that I have had for awhile now and just recently adopted a 3 month female, that I'd like to eventually breed with my ebony male. I do know that she needs to be at least 8 months old to a year before I can do that. I just am looking for some advice on getting them to like eachother. I'm currently letting them have supervised play time together and it goes well for a little bit, but then he annoys her and she stands up like she is going to spray him or attacks him. I know this takes time, im just looking to see if there is anything else I should/could be doing help them like eachother. Any advice would be welcome.

thanks

Tulula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 01:35 PM

I don't have any advice really because I don't own chinchillas.

I just remember something from another and wanted to warn you to be careful with introductions. Here is the link...

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f125/...ing-39168.html

Im sure other's with more experience will be along to help.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks, I did see that earlier today and that prompted my asking for help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 02:30 PM

If she is only 3 months old, then she should not be around any males yet, even if they are supervised. I've seen numerous examples where people have had surprise babies from supervised playtime. It only takes a few seconds for them to breed and in my opinion it is not worth the risk to her.

When she is ready for breeding, here is a website with a good explanation of how to do different types of introductions.
http://spoiledchins.net/introductions.htm

I personally like to introduce my chins using a combination of supervised playtime and side-by-side cages like the ones shown at the bottom of that website. I let them live near each other for a couple of weeks before I let them have supervised play together; doing this, I usually see little or no fighting. I usually let them have supervised play together for about a week or 2 depending on the chinchillas. Once I feel comfortable that they aren't fighting at playtime, I try moving them into one neutral cage. I make sure that whenever I do this, I can be there all day, so that I can separate them if they start fighting. Usually when I do this though, they go right together with no problems. However, I have had a few stubborn chinchillas and I have just had to do the introduction process much slower with them.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 03:17 PM
kmc

Only breed your chinchillas if they are from a breeder and you have their pedigrees. DO NOT BREED RESCUED OR STORE BOUGHT CHINS!!!

A female cannot be bred until she is approx 1 year -1.5 years old. DO NOT LET THEM RUN AROUND TOGETHER YET.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 04:13 PM

all i can say is listen to everyone else and know the risks you are taking and the danger you are potentially putting your chins in. I love my lil guy so i wouldn't want to risk loosing him to breed. Good luck
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 06:04 PM

The supervised playtimes need to stop NOW! I know your female is only 3 months old but pregnancy can happen!

Breeding is not something to be taken lightly. It is a lot of work, possible expense, and possible heartache. I think having three chinchilllas is more than enough. Adding babies to the mix changes everything. Please reconsider.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 09:04 PM

if you have access to a cage that is divided that would be a good way to get them used to each other. i have a cage that is 2 stories with a grate that i can put in to divide the top and bottom story so they can look at each other through it and sniff but can't hurt each other. when i get new ones that i want to put together i'll put one on top and one on the bottom and switch them every couple days for 2-3 weeks as well as supervised playtimes. then when you do decide to put them together freely in the cage, do it supervised for at least a week to make sure there are no fights, and separate them at night and when you are not able to watch them.
if you have something like a very small house or a coffee can or something that only one of them can fit into and they are not able to stand up in, put that in there as a safe area that one can run and hide in if necessary. chins mostly fight standing up or on top of each other so if one is hiding in a space where the other chin can't get on top of it or stand up that should help to protect it. if you have a cage with adjustable shelves, putting one really high (too high to stand) can also be a preventative measure.
you also might want to hold off on playtime for a while. a 3 month old chinchilla getting pregnant is about the same as an 11 year old girl getting pregnant, it can happen but it's not healthy for anyone. if you start with them in connected cages now and switch them back and forth so they get used to living in cages with the other's scent on it, by the time she's ready to start breeding it should be easier to put them together.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 09:07 PM
Title Thief Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise
The supervised playtimes need to stop NOW! I know your female is only 3 months old but pregnancy can happen!

Breeding is not something to be taken lightly. It is a lot of work, possible expense, and possible heartache. I think having three chinchilllas is more than enough. Adding babies to the mix changes everything. Please reconsider.
I most deffinaly agree here! I would think It over.

Carissasaurus Rex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks for all the responses. I will stop play time until she is older. all my chins were adopted from breeders so i know their pedigrees. This is my first time on this forum and I have to say, everyone is great. thank you.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 10:41 PM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

I say not to as there are so many breeders, but that is just me.

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 12:26 PM

While you wait for her to be old AND big enough to breed, do some research. Check out this article Cross Creek Chinchillas! I know it's a little lengthy, but it should be a big help to you as far as helping you prepare for what to expect. Not all pregnancies and births result in healthy babies or healthy moms
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I've actually already checked out that site and found it very helpful. I'm doing tons of research before I make any attempts at breeding. Thank you for the link.

"Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option."
Shadow, Thor, Sandy, Pandora and Isis

Spike
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 07:58 PM

there are a lot of homeless chins already, why dont you adopt a pregnant female????
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 11:19 AM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

I honestly see no reason to breed as there is probably more breeders in your area. There is only ONE breeder of Chins where I am to and that is plenty.

Please, PLEASE don't breed as there are so many chins that NEED homes and face death or in homes that don't have proper care for them. Plus tons supplied by pet stores from small animal pet mills.

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

Tags
cross creek chinchillas, pet store, pet stores