Breeding question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Potatokisser

Breeding question

I have a breeding question.
Skye and Sage have been in breeding for about a month now...since going into breeding, both chins have gained 100+ grams each! They were both a year old when I got them and were about 650 gms and 675 gms...now they are 789gms and 761 gms. Could this just be a belated growth spurt, or possible pregnancy? The third girl in breeding has gained about 20 gms since I got her...I don't think she's pregnant, but any thoughts on the significant weight gain of the other two?

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 09:42 PM
Member formerly known as MistyLea21

How much time has it been since they have gained so much? I will say by first guess it sounds like pregnancy gain. But at the same time I have been fooled big time by a lot of chins! I had one grow rapidly for her first 2 1/2 years! She finally stopped at 1139g! Can you see why I thought she was FOR SURE pregnant? lol!
So in other words you cannot only go by weight gain. I would say keep check on other signs, firm belly, dropped/elongated teats, increased appetite, more sleeping, and/or maybe urinating a lot more. Good luck!

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Custom Designer Jewelry, Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads and More!

Eyes Of Texas Chinchillas

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Potatokisser

Well if they are, I think it would be too early in pregnancy to determine if they have many of the other signs. So far, they are acting, eating and drinking normal with normal poos. WoW! Your chin got huge! The significant weight gain has occured since returning from the York show, so it's been a month that they have gained so much...for Sage 40 gms in the past week alone! I guess we will wait and see

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 09:49 PM

Wow, 40g in a week and all that gain within a month, umm as an educated guess I'd say yeah they are pregnant!

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Potatokisser

If they are, they could be only 4 weeks into it at the very most...is that normal?

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 09:54 PM

Yeah some gain fast in the beginning and slow down later, and vice versa... some start off really slow if gaining ANY and speed up toward the end.

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Potatokisser

Well, I guess we'll know for sure by the end of August! Wish us luck!

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 10:24 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

My girls tend to start gaining right away, though others say they don't notice it until the later two months. I tracked Audi's last known pregnancy and she started gaining in the first month.

Here's hoping they're pregnant for you!

Stephanie

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 10:45 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

As you get use to handling your chins alot pay attention to the normal shape and size of your chin. Does she have a pot type belly? Is her shape tubular, does she have real wide or narrow hips? A keen eye as well as weight changes can help determine if your chin is pregnant. As was mentioned earlier chins mature at different rates 10 months to 3yrs and growth spurts do trick us into thinking it's pregnancy. Keep weighing weekly and gently take the time to get use to the feel of your chins so you can feel changes. The most obvious is the extended belly button!! usually into the second month

Did anyone else notice that around 2.5 to 3 months into the pregnancy the belly disappears for a week or so then baboom they have a major belly expansion!!!!!!

Team Captain: Mother of 250 chinchillas!
New litters weekly...I must be nuts
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Potatokisser

Thanks for the advice! I will definetly be keeping all that in mind over the next several months.
Here are the girls in question.
Jax and Sage
And Jax and Skye

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 10:58 PM

Some of my girls have gained right away and some dont gain until later in the pregnancy.

your girls are gorgeous
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Potatokisser

Thank you! Hopefully soon I will have the money together to build them new cages. I hate those runs! I have plans to build 15 of them!

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-22-2004, 01:13 AM

OFF TOPIC SORRY!

Ahh you hated them too huh? I sold all my cages and totally changed to the ryerson runs, only to lose a ton of money and have to re-buy all have all new custom cages built.
I had a chin that lost 200+g in the runs from pure depression. She was eating and pooping fine. AND I let the females run free between holes as it looks like you do.
Her last weight (shes due for another) since I switched back she had gained back 65g within 3 weeks of going back to regular sized cages.
I had another friend that had a chin in the 700g range that got down to 490g in the runs. Is back up to the 600's from going back into regular sized caging.

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-22-2004, 07:05 AM
Proud New Mommy

Destiny gained tremendously fast within the first month- slowed down for about a month and then shot up again.... All chins are different. That's part of the fun!!

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-22-2004, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Potatokisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyesOfTXChins
OFF TOPIC SORRY!

AND I let the females run free between holes as it looks like you do.
Actually, the females do not run free between the holes. They are indeed wearing collars in those pics! It's hard to tell though because their fur is so thick, I often have to take the girls out in order to make sure the collars are still on! (that is the fur of Shoots chinnies!)

My plans are to build melamine cages for each chin that is 2' tall, 2' wide and 18" deep. I will also make a run that goes from cage to cage so that if a female decides to be a "whench" the male can safely get away from her. Each section is its own independent "cubicle" and can be mixed and matched. My plan is to have 5 cages along one wall in the chin room and they should be able to safely stack 3 high. This would make a total of 15 decent sized cages large enough to have shelves and wheels to safely breed and I would then have 6 "growing" cages. Those other runs I will most likely keep for quarentine or weaning. My wire superpets cages I will probably go ahead and sell...they aren't kit proof, but would make awsome ferret cages as that's what they were originally intended for.

The only chins currently in those runs are the 4 Shoots chins. They were born and raised in runs so there was no weight loss or gain due to cage size with them. My chins from Hobby breeders are all in large cages...I would never put a chin from a large cage to a small run like that. I think it would break their little hearts

Anyway, that is my plan for building my own runs. I like the idea of runs for safety of the males, but HATE the tiny amount of space. I thought by building my own larger ones, I could still save space, ensure safety of my males, and have happy chinnies in cages geared towards their happiness and enrichment.

So, what do you all think?

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at

Tags
chin room