Building a cage - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Question Building a cage

Would it be ok to build a Chinchilla cage using Wire cubes and Coroplast???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kyo &
Krypto
1 poodle - Kitty
1 Mini Dachshund - Ivy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 09:03 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

yup yup, i am pretty sure, just have to make it to the right size and things custom to your pet!

[/CENTER]

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 09:34 AM

I would say no to both. I had a cage similar to those blocks that I bought and both of my chins got out of it. The other stuff they will try to eat and it might make them sick. You can use a small sized chicken wire and a wood cube, I have seen people make cages that way. I would not recommend the above since I have tried one of them and I have 2 chinchillas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Another question would it be ok to use a modifed dog crate for a chin?

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...=1172604492271

Kyo &
Krypto
1 poodle - Kitty
1 Mini Dachshund - Ivy

Last edited by Zack_the_Mouse; 02-27-2007 at 01:28 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack_the_Mouse
Another question would it be ok to use a modifed dog crate for a chin?

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...=1172604492271

I think that should be safe as long as it's a big enough crate. I know someone who modified one for her ferrets and it worked well for them, I wouldn't think it would hurt to use one for a chin chin..
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

would a cage this size be ok 24"Lx18"Wx21"H?

Kyo &
Krypto
1 poodle - Kitty
1 Mini Dachshund - Ivy

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 03:23 PM

It is a good cage, I bought the same one....BUT the chinchillas can get out of it because the bars are too big. You need to find a cage with small bars. Farret cages and Chin cages from the pet store would give you a better idea of how big the bars should be. You can use that cage and wrap chicken wire around it safely. The base of those is also not enough to hold in the chinny mess you will get! I did all of this with my baby thinking it would be ok, your best bet is to buy a chin cage or make one with bars small enough a chin wont get out.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

What!!!!!!!!!!!!! Chinchillas can fit through 1" bars!!!!!!!!!
I thought that chinchillas where to big for that

Kyo &
Krypto
1 poodle - Kitty
1 Mini Dachshund - Ivy

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 03:54 PM

They can compress their rib cages and squeeze through VERY small spaces. The spacing ideally should be 1/2" x 1/2" or 1/2" x 1"
Martin's Cages Inc. - The source for all your pet cage needs. has reasonably priced cages that are great for chins.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeyPokey
They can compress their rib cages and squeeze through VERY small spaces. The spacing ideally should be 1/2" x 1/2" or 1/2" x 1"
Martin's Cages Inc. - The source for all your pet cage needs. has reasonably priced cages that are great for chins.

My biggest chinchilla who is pretty big could squeeze through the 1" bars like it was nothing. Thats why you need 1/2" or smaller. They can and will.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 09:44 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

geez! thats crazy! i thought their heads where bigger than that

[/CENTER]

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 08:52 AM

I have a female chinchilla who is massive and a baby boy who is about half her size. I got the baby after the female and I got the dog cage for him so I could keep them apart. The cage had everything in it and he was happy for about 10 minutes. I left and when I came home there was no chinchilla in the cage! I was looking everywhere freaking out that I lost my baby chinchilla. I noticed he got so curious he was on the window ledge trying to get into the females cage. Luckily he was found! So, I let them play together and they got along but I was worried about going to sleep and not being able to break up any fights. So I put my female in the cage who was about 3 times his size thinking she could not get out. In 5 seconds she just walked right through the bars like it was no problem! GOOD LUCK!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I found a great Chinchilla cage at a local pet store for only $80.00 CAD
its 24"x18"x27" Complete will wooden ledges

So far on my list of things to get for my Chinchilla are

Chin-Chiller

Sleep-N-Ledge
Leap-N-Ledge
Bowl for food
Water bottle
Wheel
Whirly Twirly
Nature Nook Hut

Am I missing any thing?
What type of shavings should i buy?
Do Chinchillas like the ferret hammocks?

Kyo &
Krypto
1 poodle - Kitty
1 Mini Dachshund - Ivy

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 02:17 PM

my chin loves ferret hammocks...go here and she has great stuff!!
Home Page
(so you decided to get a chin huh ) hehe!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Nice site, but I'm tying to order items from with in Canada cause my Chinchilla should be here in 3 weeks or sooner pending one the breeder and I want everything ready for him when he gets here.

Chewy Chins

Kyo &
Krypto
1 poodle - Kitty
1 Mini Dachshund - Ivy

Last edited by Zack_the_Mouse; 02-28-2007 at 03:08 PM.

Tags
chicken wire, local pet store, pet store, pet stores