Building cage, need advice - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Building cage, need advice

Hello!

I am getting ready to build a cage for my chins A super nice, super big one , completely from scratch.... Anyway, I have heard that some wood is deadly to chins. Annddd.... kiln dried pine and poplar are ok? Is that right?

Also... I was wondering if they were allergic to any sort of metal? And what gauge you would recommend so that they cant chew through it i have one who is quite the chewer..... Im thinking a pretty heavy gauge, but im not sure what i will find Should i get bare wire or coated? the bare wire might have sharp spots, but the coating could have chemicals that could kill them

Anyway..... any advice on any of this, or anything i have forgotten to mention would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 12:13 AM

You're right; kiln dried pine and poplar are fine. From what I've seen, cage builders recommend galvanized after weld wire. When I bought wire to make my cages I believe I purchased 14 or 16 gauge wire, but it's been awhile so I'm not 100% sure. It had 1" by 1/2" spacing. I found that wire at a local feed store.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Will It Ever Change?

yup you're right about the wood. for wire i went to home depot garden section, they have lots of garden wire there that is useable. i also got a plexiglass sheet for the base of the cage. i siliconed it on and it was easy to clean

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan

Tags
dried pine, kiln dried, kiln dried pine