Buying New chins tommorow please help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 10:36 PM
Lampro

Buying New chins tommorow please help!

Hi,

I recently fell on this forum by accident and was in love at first sight. i must have read all the posts for the last 60 days. Anyhow the reason i am writing is we, my girlfriend and i are planning on buying a chinchilla tommorow from a breeder and we have so far bought a really nice cage (33L x 23w x 47H) and it is quite big. we figure easily to house 2 chins. Here is my questions, taking ito consideration that we are buy the chins at a young age 2 months or so...

1. What is best 2 females or 2 males?

2. how about a male and female, but will they try to breed to early and we need separate them, cause that would be a shame if the female was too young and problems occur.

3. We seem to be a little lost on the hay issue, should we mix alfalpha or just stick with the regular hey?

4. can we get them trained to do their droping in a litter like our rabbit? and how if possible?

well thats it for now. thank you.

p.s. and we dont think we will sleep a wink tonight hehe.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 10:53 PM

If you get a male and a female at a young age they will diffently try to breed (more than likely be successful) I would recommend getting two of the same sex (I have no preference over males and females)

I feed my chinchillas loose timothy hay and alfalfa/timothy cubes.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 12:13 AM

I think you should go with a same sex pair to start, breeding can get very complicated . I personally would go with males, all of my males seem to be a little more laid back than the females, and I've heard that 2 males are sometimes easier to house together. I do have to admit though, I have one male that is more of a spaz than any of my females have ever THOUGHT of being, so it really comes down to personal preference. I feed my chins loose timothy everyday and alfalfa cubes a couple times a week, loose alfalfa every now and then (like maybe once or twice a month)like a treat. Some chins can be trained to pee in a litter pan, but they will poo EVERYWHERE.

Congratulations and good luck on your new additions...you'll LOVE 'em!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 12:42 PM
Fertile Myrtle

Re: Buying New chins tommorow please help!

1. What is best 2 females or 2 males?

Either works fine but definitely start with a same sex pair.

3. We seem to be a little lost on the hay issue, should we mix alfalpha or just stick with the regular hey?

I give alfalfa cubes a few times a week and loose timothy freely.

4. can we get them trained to do their droping in a litter like our rabbit? and how if possible?

No, chins cannot be trained.

It may be too late for this but I would really suggest you do more research before actually getting the chinchillas. If not, be sure to ask any questions that may come up, we're all here to help. Also, be sure that when you get them home and in their new cage you leave them absolutely alone for at least the first two days so they can settle in without being more stressed.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 12:46 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You might also check out this article for some beginning info!

Or check out Christi's chin page: http://chins.paw-talk.net

Stephanie

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 03:27 PM
Lampro

Well the wait is over, thanx all for the advice, but after talking with the breeder a few hours we decided on a couple. We decided to get the female a month older than the male just to prolong breeding a bit and will keep attention when they come of age. As well we purchased an odd couple, 2 velvets.

Male is a Black velvet born june 6, 2002
Female is a Brown Velvet with ruby eyes born May 13, 2002

They are adorable and pictures will follow.

Currently we are thinking of naming them Chelsea and Bungee cause he jumps like crazy.

thanx again all!

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 03:49 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Okay, then there's more you need to know.

First, a female absolutely should NOT be bred until she is at LEAST 8 months old, preferably 10-12 months. She simply isn't completely developed and it can cause heartbreaking complications. You could lose her and the babies, to put it simply. If she was born May 13, the very soonest I'd put her with the male is February of next year.

At 2-3 months, a male can potentially impregnate a female. Are you keeping them separated or caged together?

There is also a lethal factor when breeding two TOV gene carrying chinchillas. To quote the owner of Silverfall Chinchillas, "A TOV egg and a TOV sperm cannot form a new baby. The TOV sperm does not give up just because it cannot form a viable kit. The egg and sperm join, eventually disable, usually in the VERY early stage of development, and nothing comes of it. If that TOV sperm had not been present to jump on that TOV egg, you would have had a different kit form. So, sure, you'll have more TOV babies and less standard babies, but you lost babies overall. "

There's also the possibility of the sperm and egg being reabsorbed by the mother and blocking the uterine horn, which would be dangerous for the mother.

Stephanie

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 03:57 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I would also SERIOUSLY reconsider breeding at all. Breeding can get very complicated and can be absolutely heartbreaking. I did a LOT of research and talked to a lot of people before allowing my chins to breed. I just had my first litter born on July 27th and the first baby died the next morning. He was born tail first and it could have been a very difficult situation. I could have had to take her to the vet and get a c-section, which would've cost quite a bit. You need to be prepared to lose a kit or even a mother if problems occur. I got lucky and the mother and two remaining kits are doing well but things could have been very different.

You might look at this page as a reference on what to expect.

Okay, I'm getting off my soapbox now! You ARE getting two new chinnies, and I wish you the very best of luck with them. Please let us know how everything goes!!

Stephanie

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 04:00 PM
Chinta0

Yes I totally agree with Jade. I'm new at this and I won't take the chance of breeding two tov's. It's just not worth the risk. I hope your chinnies do very well and I would love to see pics. Say hi to your new chinnies from me and my chinnies.
Have fun with them, they are so sweet.
Cheryl

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 04:12 PM
Member formerly known as MistyLea21

Oh my! Makes me wonder what breeder would encourage a customer to buy two opposite sexed chins at such young ages AND sell two colors that paired together there is a lethal factor!

There is a 25% chance with breeding two velvets together that the birth will provide still born babies.

A female not fully grown should never be bred due to se could die from birthing. Chin babies can be born quite big, be born breech, you may have to hand feed babies to keep them alive every 2 hours ROUND THE CLOCK, etc. etc.

This is not a very wise decision especially if you have never owned chins before.

There is so much involved on the proper care of chins, just as pets, much less as breeders! I don't know if you realize what you have gotten into and the loss you may take.

*Also, yes Christi is correct... chins will poo everywhere!!! and without a litter pan, they normally at least pee in one corner (maybe two) of the cage anyway.
They will poo on you when you hold them, etc. It falls out everywhere.

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

Custom Designer Jewelry, Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads and More!

Eyes Of Texas Chinchillas

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 04:19 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by MistyLea21
Oh my! Makes me wonder what breeder would encourage a customer to buy two opposite sexed chins at such young ages AND sell two colors that paired together there is a lethal factor!
I was thinking the same thing, Misty but wasn't going to say it. I'm hoping we misunderstood and they are caging them separately.

Stephanie

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 04:26 PM
Member formerly known as MistyLea21

I am hoping that too!

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

Custom Designer Jewelry, Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads and More!

Eyes Of Texas Chinchillas

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 04:41 PM
Fertile Myrtle

In addition to a female needing to be 10-12 months before breeding, she also needs to weigh a minimum of 600 grams and pass a thumb test.

I agree with Jade and MistyLea that this breeder doesn't sound very responsible as I don't know of any good breeders that would sell a pair to a first time chin owner. In fact, I have refused to do so on many occasions. There are just so many things you need to learn as an owner before ever considering breeding.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 06:10 PM

I agree with Jade, Christi and MistyLea.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 08:52 PM
Lampro

Yes, i see where everyone is going with this, and we cant say we disagree. We did not buy the chins really for breeding but did not really want to see the chins lonely. We are planning to take measures to keep them from breeding for at least a year. Furthur the leathal factor we have considered and would like to ask if anyone has ever lost a mother to haveing the blockage of the uterine horn instead of a clean miscarrage so to say?

As well how about nutering, is it successfull on chins yet?

And although we are new we have alot of time for our new pets and fully understand what it takes to raise them well, we thought of this responsibility long before we bought them.

We our selves were a bit surprised that we bought this lethal combo, we went on intentions to buy same types, but somehow we ended up buying the x-factors as we call them now hehe. Anyhow rest assured we will work things out.

As far as we know we can control the age problem for breeding, but never thought on the blockage problem, please answer the above question. thank you.

By the way these chins come to us right away and walk all over our arms and shoulders. how cute.

Tags
black velvet, brown velvet, litter pan, pet owner, timothy hay