cage? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Question cage?

is this a good cage for a chin. im am getting a chin next month not sure how old they are.the guy that im getting it from (larry) has babies from 8 weeks and older. but i am worried the wire spacing is to big for a baby (kit) the other forum i was on said it wasnt a good cage?

Feisty Home: Rabbit Stop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 08:07 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

You have to watch the bar spacing. If the chin is going to be over 3 months old when you get them it will probably be okay. I havent had chins in awhile so I might be wrong.

*Missy*
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 10:11 PM

There's too much plastic in that cage and the hammock could pose a potential risk if shredded and ingested. The straps would only take a few seconds to chew through. Fleece hammocks are safer as they don't unravel and have thicker straps.

If you're going to spend that much, I'd just go with a Quality Cage (Quality Cage Co. - Bird cage manufacturer). Then, you would have to replace any shelves, the wire spacing is fine for sure, and their customer service is great. If there's something you don't like about the QC they may be able to customize one for you (add shelves, bigger door, smaller wire, etc.). Just ask. They are usually very quick to respond and very pleasant to talk to. Their cages are made to last and are a great, simple design for chinchillas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 03:30 AM

Nope I wouldn't recoomend it at all,but I'd second the Quality Cage link since I personally bought from there.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 08:39 PM

I think that store bought chin cages are probably the equivalent to store bought guinea pig cages...plain crap. Have you thought about building a cage using cubes and coroplast? Here is an example of what I am talking about.

Guinea Pig Cage Photos - Chinchilla Cage
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 01:09 AM

I have a QC and think it's great! The one you posted looks a lot like the ferret nation cage. If you want one of that style, then I would just get the FN instead because those are good too.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 02:29 AM
Adolescent Pup

I personally like all metal cages or homemade ones made out of wood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kyo &
Krypto
1 poodle - Kitty
1 Mini Dachshund - Ivy

Tags
bird cage, guinea pig, guinea pig cage, guinea pig cages, pig cages