Cage - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Cage

I am look for a large cage for my 2 chinchillas. Their cage is a good size now but I want to give them more room to jump around inside the cage. I want something that has a large floor to put their igloo and wheel etc... and then have a couple layers for them to jump around and play with their toys. Any ideas on finding or even building a cage that won't cost me a million dollars?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 02:53 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

On the building note:
You find a cheap closet about the size you want.
If the front is made of solid wood, you cut out the most of it, so you have a frame. Then you put some mesh on it, and the only thing you need now, is to put a locking device on it
As for the inside, you have to buy some wood they can chew on. You cut it in sizes you like, and put them in the cage (with screws or nails. Nails can be a problem if you need to change the platforms)

And now you have a nice cage

If you want to be able to look into the cage from other sites that the front, you just cut out parts of the sides (be creative ), and put mesh on, like you did on the front.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 11:42 AM
chinchilla breeder

where are you from? I have several large cages that would just need shelves. It is easy to build them as well you can order any size pan you need from Ryerson chinchillas and build around the pan. My website has photos of cages my husband built http://www.abcchinchillas.com

Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 07:27 AM
Adolescent Pup

here are a couple of examples of cages my husband built for my chinnies, the 6' cage cost around $250, and the 4' cage was about $125 to buy all the materials and what not.

the first three are the 6' cage, and the last one is the 4'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Custom Cages (6).jpg (71.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Custom Cages (7).jpg (66.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Custom Cages (10).jpg (75.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Custom Cages (21).jpg (67.9 KB, 3 views)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 10:57 AM
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi View Post
On the building note:
You find a cheap closet about the size you want.
If the front is made of solid wood, you cut out the most of it, so you have a frame. Then you put some mesh on it, and the only thing you need now, is to put a locking device on it
As for the inside, you have to buy some wood they can chew on. You cut it in sizes you like, and put them in the cage (with screws or nails. Nails can be a problem if you need to change the platforms)

And now you have a nice cage

If you want to be able to look into the cage from other sites that the front, you just cut out parts of the sides (be creative ), and put mesh on, like you did on the front.

This is a great idea! Love it!