Cage building & Accessories ?'s - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2003, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Cage building & Accessories ?'s

I have some questions.

Since I will hopefully be a hobby breeder of chins I've decided I should start making my own cages. I don't always want the cages 2 ft by 4 ft or soemthing. I would like different sized cages and a different placement of shelves. The only way I can get that easily is make them myself. Plus I know I get my cages for pretty cheap but I know I can make them cheaper.

I know where to get the wire mesh for builing cages, the guage and the space size but how do you guys flatten it? It would come in rolls. Also, how do you join the panels together? and put the shelves on?

I could get my bottoms from wal mart like NavyWife did.

Also, I was looking at chew toys for my GP and chins and I walked by the Reptile Isle. I saw these half logs...the ones that are an arch.

LINK

I was looking at this. I know the chins would love it but I don't know if it would be healthy for them. I don't know what kind of wood its from. sooo....anyone know?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2003, 10:52 PM

I don't know what kind of wood those are, but they are sold as safe for rodents to chew on, I see them everywhere that sells chin stuff...I bet they'd love it!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2003, 11:38 PM

Pokey, I couldn't tell you about the wood, but as far as the cage goes, ours are sized to fit the bottom, I think the storage container do dad thingie was like 21+"x14+" and the hubby had to make it just a wee bit shorter to fit inside, so it is like 21x14, now the height is 24" that gives them more height, but it also saved on cutting the mesh. he was able to make all four sides and only cutting one time, he counted squares to get each side right, as for straighten it out, just press, as for the sides he bended them really good, then when the 2 corners needed to be connected he made sure to leave some of the mesh ends unsquared (well all squares on one side) then he took each piece and bent (folded) it over really good to connect. At this point you now have 4 sides. as for the top, he pretty much did the same, he measured it, then had to fold all four sides (looping the mesh). As for the shelves well there it wasn't an easy task (in my opinion) but it was pretty much done the same way, cut to size (fitting from one side to the other) folding the mesh inward and around (leaving no points) the door was done by him, cutting out the size he wanted, then we bought some vinyl type carpet edging(sp) and used it to place around the inside of the door frame (to prevent scratches when reaching in). He bought some connectors and drilled a small hole in each side of the plastic pan and that is how is stabilized the cage to the pan, making it a drop pan (more or less). But I fill the plastic is alot easier to clean then the metal, and unlike metal less likely to rust and carode (sp). I hope I helped a little as I know I left stuff out, but I wasn't the one building the cages, I just payed attention when I was bored with the T.V. lol haha..... Good Luck in building your cages...... Oh if you choose to make them different sizes, zipper ties work great to connect the sides together and such
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 10:27 PM

Thumbs up

I've been making cages for many years. I buy my metal trays, j clips and j clip pliers from DaMars equiptment co. They have a website I think. They sell door gaurds, latches, bottles, dishes etc etc. The J clips are the clips that connect your cages together. Your welcome to ask help from me if you like.

Hey Navy Wife, your husband is very clever!

Remember if its plastic the chin will eventually chew it
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 11:38 PM

lol Chinhappy this is true about the plastic, but they can't get it to it, the containers have a slanted ridge so this makes the mesh about 1/2" from the plastic, so if they are able to get through those tiny squares and get to the plastic we have some very talented Chinnies
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Well...I built it!!! I built a 30" x 18" x 24" tall. Here is the before picture:
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

TADAAA!!! Here's the finished product. I used 19 gauge 1/2" x 1/2" wire and it is really weak. I used doubled up wire mesh for shelves and they act as a little suport except I cannot put any thing on top of it or it sags.

I will be ordering new wire soon. It will be 16 gauge. Hopefully it'll work out!!! But for now Izzy likes the freedom of a big cage!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 03:02 PM

You did a great job on those cages Pokey, it looks alot like my Martins that is the same size
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 03:05 PM

Pokey you did a great job I guess I am more fond of the plastic bottoms we use, only because they are much deeper, and that makes less of a mess, but still you did wonderful
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I told my mom we could do that. I like deeper better to because the pine sticks to the wire and when you pull the cage up stuff goes everywhere! But she was picky and wanted it to look 'appealing'. So we got the cheapest ones we could find. IT's her money so I'm not complaining!

I was trying out corner ledges. I know my Little one likes hers but I don't want to have to buy those corner ledges from the pet store. They're expensive.

Tags
chew toy, chew toys, pet store, wire mesh