Cage Cleaning - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Cage Cleaning

What does everyone use to clean your chin cages? Its really hard to find good, reliable information because one person (not in PT )tells me to use bleach in the bottom of the cage and the next person tells me that if you clean with bleach it can kill them. I've been using REALLY hot water with some very mild soap, but I don't think thats enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 12:06 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Ive never had any Chins, but i deff wouldnt use bleach, Maybe just hot water and vinegar? thats what we use for our rabbits cage seems to work really well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 06:32 AM
Will It Ever Change?

yeah vinegar works great!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Ok thanks guys! I hate the smell of vinegar so much, but if it will keep my baby healthy I'll definitely use it
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Yep, white vinegar is what I use too.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Adolescent Pup

I use hot water and vinegar, but sometime I do use a little antibacterial soap.

Kyo &
Krypto
1 poodle - Kitty
1 Mini Dachshund - Ivy

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelnstuff View Post
Ive never had any Chins, but i deff wouldnt use bleach, Maybe just hot water and vinegar? thats what we use for our rabbits cage seems to work really well.
I didn't think bleach sounded like a good idea either. I was going to get some cleanser from Petco, but I think that stuff only works as a deodorizer not a disinfectant.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Adolescent Pup

bleach should only be use in case of a very sick chin to disinfect the cage, when using bleach only 1/5 bleach and the rest hot water and rinse rinse rinse. It really shouldn't be used as an every day cleaner.

Kyo &
Krypto
1 poodle - Kitty
1 Mini Dachshund - Ivy

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Part of the Pack

Simple Green. Or Biokleen is supposed to be natural. maybe those would be good?
i use nolvasan for now. but i will be changing it soon.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm going to use the vinegar because I don't want to introduce him to any harmful chemicals. I'll definitely look for the all natural cleansers that you mentioned. Thanks
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 02:05 AM

I trained my chinchilla to use a litter box in the corner of the cage, so not a whole lot of poop gets onto the shelves. I just take the vacuum cleaner in and use the extension tool thingy to clean off the shelves (taking care to stay away from the chinchilla that is fascinated with the vacuum).

I just carry the whole bottom of the cage to a dumpster and dump out all the bedding (Which is really thick to make my life easier).
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Part of the Pack

haha i kinda wish my chin was fascinated with the vacuum! Mine gets nervous when he sees it, and gets scared when i use it. always running into his hide house where it needs to be cleaned the most!
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik8806 View Post
haha i kinda wish my chin was fascinated with the vacuum! Mine gets nervous when he sees it, and gets scared when i use it. always running into his hide house where it needs to be cleaned the most!
I wish mine wasn't fascinated with it! (maybe we should trade).

I left the nozzle of the vacuum in the cage after I was done vacuuming and she kept sticking her head in it. She tries to do the same thing when it's on and I have to avoid her.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerthedruid View Post
I trained my chinchilla to use a litter box in the corner of the cage
How did you train yours? I tried, but nothing worked!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 10:47 PM
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerthedruid View Post
I wish mine wasn't fascinated with it! (maybe we should trade).

I left the nozzle of the vacuum in the cage after I was done vacuuming and she kept sticking her head in it. She tries to do the same thing when it's on and I have to avoid her.
haha too funny! maybe we should trade! although it might be harder to vacuum with a chin whos running after the vacuum than one who runs away lol.

Tags
litter box