cage floor - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

cage floor

I am aware that chin cages have wire floors to prevent foot problems through soiling but I have noticed that my 3 pull the hay from the rack down to the floor and sit on it.. is this ok or should I remove it from the floor every morning?? I removed it tonight to many looks of disgust from my chinnies!!

have a great day
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 06:27 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You should be fine leaving it, just clean it out every few days. You may want to provide some large cardboard or pine pieces to sit on, as the wire can be hard on their feet as well. I use aloe on a weekly basis for my chins' feet and it really helps reduce the dryness.

Stephanie

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I wasn't sure about putting anything on the base as people had said keep the base as it is and we have 6 shelves in the cage but I felt the wire on the base was a bit harsh but the general feel in the uk seems to be only put stuff on the base when babies are imminently due? As yet I have not handled them as they were not handled much b4 we got them they are all about 2 years old.. I was told that the standard sprays you but as yet we have had them a week and they are all showing more character each day and being very trusting but as the both female's are possibly pregnant and I dont know how far on as the person we got them from was not sure I really do not want to stress them out by trying to handle them at the moment .. I would rather they got to know and trust us first.

have a great day

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 07:41 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I don't use wire bottoms in my cages, they're all on the bedding (aside from one temporary cage). The one cage that is all wire, shelves included, I have a corner hammock in a top corner, a seagrass mat on the middle floor, and pieces of cardboard on the bottom in a few spots. This allows them to get off of the wire floor if they need to. I find them most often on these rather than the wire.

I have a pretty detailed bonding article on my website if you're interested. http://www.chinnitude.com It's in the Care section under Bond .

Stephanie

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks Jade that info is great!! I was quite worried as I say because the uk attitude is do NOT allow them to stand on anything soiled which I do understand but I know that I would like to have more comfort than wooden shelves and wire base. The bonding info is great and that is what I have been doing the b/v is very friendly and I think f the door was open she would be out straight away but again if pregnant I do not want to take the risk of handling her clumsily as a novice..

have a great day

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 08:28 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Soiled bedding needs changed frequently and they are right when it comes to keeping them off of it if you can. Constant contact can cause foot and hygiene problems. The same holds true for urine-stained wire though, and I find the wire hard to keep clean unless I use my steam cleaner. What I do with my non-wire cage bottoms is vacuum the 'pee corners' on a daily or every other day basis, and change all the bedding weekly. They tend to urinate in one or two spots in the cage and keep the rest of the bedding fairly clean, so I'm quite comfortable with them being directly on the bedding.

The best advice I can offer when handling them is to keep something under their back feet. Usually what I do is have both back feet on one hand, then my arm up in front of them with their front paws on my arm. This helps to stabilize them, make them feel safe, and gives you a good control over where they go.

Pregnant chins are usually very hardy. Unless you're palpating her tummy or drop her, she should tolerate being handled quite well once she trusts you. My moms will let me gently rest my fingertips on their bellies and I can often feel babies kick that way!

Stephanie

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks Jade I will give that a try when I feel they trust me enough I think the bv girl will be the best to try first as standard still barks and hisses a bit when u enter cage but she is coming up to say hi and she lets me touch her toes!! which seems to be more than previous owner had .. she said she sprayed her quite a bit..although she did handle them but she is experienced and I aint.. dont fancy a bite too much lol

have a great day

Tags
wire cage