Cages, Chins, Supplies, OH MY! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

Cages, Chins, Supplies, OH MY!

YES! I'm so excited! I was looking through the Atlanta Advertiser and saw that some elderly man was selling his heard of chins that he had been breeding for 20 or so years. I quickly called him to see if I could stop by and see them but they had already all been sold. Thankfully, he still had some great cages left for really cheap (he builds cages). When we got there, he gave us 2 run-cages for $15.00, one 1&1/2 story cage for $20.00, a bag of kiln dried pine, A bunch of pans, and a BUNCH of supplies such as collars, J feeders, toys, and what nots! All of that for only $35.00! We are going to pick it all up today.
His setup was really neat! He had a basement-less house, right? Well he decided he wanted his heard underneath his basement-less house, so he dug BY HAND out from underneath the house! He has cellar doors over it. It's really neat. He also drilled a tunnel through the brick and had a little cage outside that the chinchillas could run into. He had a lot of neat stories, too.

When we were leaving, he said- "Oh yeah, I wanted to give this to you." He handed me a piece of paper with an old friend's number on it. She has a few chins and is moving to Alabama and cannot take them all with her. I called her yesterday and told her that Ed (the guy) was a friend of mine and asked her about the chins. She told me what colors she had and I asked where they came from. She replied Ed.
It doesn't sound excited but it was very exciting! I would love to see what his chinchillas were like. He was such a neat man, and cared so much about the chins.
Anyway, I asked her what colors she had. Beiges, standards, and violets. She's selling each of them for 40-45 dollars because she has to be gone by this week or next week. I'm thinking she may even give me a few. We are going up there Sunday to look at them. I'm so excited! Ed said he has never had health problems witg any of his chins. He said the only problem he has had is that sometimes "For some aweful reason" a kit would be born way under weight and would not survive.
Of course, 20 years ago, they didn't know that much about chinchillas, but I told him that it just happens sometimes.

I just had to share my story, I'm so excited!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 02:39 PM
PT's Resident Hermit

yay for you! i wish i could get nice cages for 35.00. but that is hard to come by around here.

Kayla

Proud Member of

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 04:42 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

Wow what a gold mine of information, chins and supplies! Congrats on finding it. Let us know about your visit today!!

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 05:21 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Congrats, glad to hear you came by such a great offer, can't wait to hear the update on how things went

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 11:00 AM
Adolescent Pup

That's very cool!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

Cna't type a lot now, have some house chores to get done.

To make a 2 1/2 hour story short:
We got there having only 6 chins, and now we have 27. This is going to be a great number to get used to! We are going to sell three of them (three are kits) and keep all the rest. The kits are 5 and 3 weeks old. She sold all 11 to us for just 400 dollars.

The "violets" she had, turned out to look like a cross between beige and violet. It's a pretty color. The rest were beiges and standards. We really needed some standards!

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

Ok, I have time to write more now!

We got there at about 7:45... 45 mins late! (miscalculated the time... There was a wreck and a lot of traffic to begin with. ) When we pulled up, there was a huge bran out back with a big emu walking around in a fence that surrounded the barn. The only thing else I could see were a couple turkeys and specks of other birds.

About a minute later, before we even got out of the car, she came walking out the door. When we got out of the car, I heard roosters crowing, birds "Hello"ing, pigs grunting, and an old old old dog barking. It was incredible- all those sounds at once. I don't see how she sleeps! She promised she would take me around the place after we saw the chins, but the cockatoo on the way to the chin room caught my attention. She was just saying Hello over and over and over in a billion different voices. I got her to wolf whistle and chirp like an outside bird. It was really neat. She was a rescue. (A lot of her animals were ) She also had 3 (I think) HUGE iguanas and one baby one outside soaking up the real sun rays. We finally got almost the whole way through the garage to the chin room, and I saw another cage and asked what was in it. She pulled out a pigeon with CURLY feathers!!! It was so neat- the bird was sooo sweet. She had two of them. She said you wouldn't find it in the wild- it's just a mutation thing right now. They were gorgeous. In front of that cage, there was a pen on the floor with an angora (the huge fluffly ones, right?) rabbit in it. He was adorable--- so sweet.

We got back to the chin room... It was about 76 degrees (if not more) in there. She didn't know they were supposed to be in nothing hotter than 75 (AT THE MOST) degrees. I told her at 75, they would still be suffering, and our's stay at a constant 69-70 degrees. A lot of them seemed pretty stressed out. Two of the cages had kits in them and all of the males were with females. She was breeding. Thankfully she was feeding them Mazuri, but she was using Kaytee bath dust which didn't give too much umph to their fur. I told her because it is such a sandy gritty dust, it could damage their thin hairs. They will all more than likely grow out of it pretty quick, and get a lot better looking. She didn't know that and asked what I used. Kevin and I taught her a lot while we were there. After we figured out which chins we were getting, she took us on a tour around her zoo. She had everything! She even had these animals that are in the cavy family. They look like a deer/dog/rabbit/guinea pig. They were really neat. She had guineas, too. While we were in deep conversation looking at the cavy animals, a HUGE cat jumped basically on top of Kevin and almost fell over when Kevin started petting it. She told us the cat's story. It was aweful. Someone through her out of the car window going down the road. She stopped and took her home. That old dog that was barking at us, is actually her neighbor's dog but Brenda (the woman) takes the dog to the vet because the other lady doesn't. (She pays for it, too.) The other day, she called the woman and asked if she could take the dog with her... lol. The woman let Brenda have the poor dog. She get's around pretty good but she has some serious arthritis.

In the back of the garage, she has snakes (one was a rescue) and a legless lizard. She has a blue tongued skink. I'ts HUGE!!

When we started to walk back to the chin room, we asked Brenda if we could take all the chins (because before she offered all of them to us for $400.00). She said she could, as long as we kept her updated on them.
It was a really fun night... I'm glad we got all of them. They're sucking up this AC!

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 05:28 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Wait, if you had 6, bought 11, how do you have 27?

Congrats on the new chins!!! I can't wait to see them, the beige violets sound beautiful!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

I'm not a CALCULATOR....! Jeeze. I was in a hurry... and tired, ok?

We have 17. Yeah, that's what I meant to put.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 10:32 PM
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

LOL!!! 17 isn't that bad...30 is alot. Trying to get down to less than 20. Yeah, right.

Alicyn

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 10:41 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Congrats, Rocheal. The violets may actually be violets with poor coloration to them instead of a beige violet. A lot of 'weak' violets have a beige cast to them. Darker, bluer violets are much more desired, which is why we see more of them and less of the lighter violets.

Stephanie

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 12:25 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Congrats!!! I'm sure you'll do wonders for the new chinnies and I can only imagine how they must be loving the a/c

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 02:42 PM
Part of the Pack

I know you are probably so busy right now but *whisper and ducking* how about some pictures !! Congrats on your new additions.

My wonderful loves:
Emma, Xavier, SweetPea, Mr. Pickles, Mary Beth, Sheldon,Zena,Cadbury,Kapuah,Walter,Lou,Chip, Dilbert, Cartman, Gessepi,Miranda, Henry & Riker (my chins)/ Bunny, Little Cat,Clarissa (cats) , Lucy & Grace (Dappled Doxies) Simon (GSD puppy), Cookie (Australian Shepherd puppy), Captain Jack (cockatiel)
Bella Chinchillas
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 10:12 PM
Adolescent Pup

*tap tap tap* Picture time!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

I'm trying I'm trying! They JUST stopped crying about 3 nights ago. ago. I will take pictures of the ones here tonight and the ones at Kevin's next time I go over there and see them. One over at his house is STILL crying and a few others are hovering just in the corner of the cage.

I'm hoping they're feeling better here. Sometimes I wonder because they were crying for so long. Today I vaccummed right in front of them and they didn't even seem to mind at all. They are still VERY jumpy and will only let me get near them to give them treats. I've held the kit quite a lot to get her tame but it's almost like it's in her blood to be afraid of people. Ugh. I don't know. It just feels like they were all rescues. I think we are going to get them all better and sell them strickly as pets to people we can interview, and keep talking to for a while before they get them. That would probably be best for the chins and us. We just have to make them trust us somehow. I wish there was a magic button.

Jade, that seems a lot more likely. They look exactly how you described without even trying to describe it! I will get pics of them asap.

Tags
chin room, dried pine, guinea pig, kiln dried, kiln dried pine