changing food question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

changing food question

Hi all!
I recently (3 days ago) took away Hailey's food because her poops where wet and sticky, but still in tact. I have been giving her nothing but hay and no treats. Her poos are much better now, back to normal, so Im guessing that I need to give her a different kind of food. I am going to buy Mazuri food for her, but do I still have to change gradually even though she has been off food for 3 days?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 11:58 AM
Kansas City Chinchillas

I would still change her food gradually. Why do you think her food is causing the soft poo?

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

well, I was told to take away the food first and see if her poo retruned to normal, which it did. I recently changed her food about a month ago, and it seemed when she was completely on the new food her poo became soft and squishy. Im not sure what else could have done it, she only gets one raisin a week, sometimes a papaya fruit chunk, and her hay has always been the same...so I think it was the new food...does that sound logical?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 03:39 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

Sounds like it might be the food but hard to say. Have you tried giving her acidophilus?

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 10:46 PM
Adolescent Pup

You need to change the food very gradually. Here is what most people recommend:
Week 1 - 1/4 new food 3/4 old food
Week 2 - 1/2 new food 1/2 old food
Week 3 - 3/4 new food 1/4 old food
Week 4 - New food

If you change the food too quickly it can cause problems. Their systems are very delicate.

There is no one TRUE way

* Chloe * Jinx * Berry *
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 11:54 PM

What kind of food caused the soft poop? Was it store bought, did it contain raisins or other fruit?
I would cut back on all treats all together. In my experience, some chins just can't take in as much sugars as others. If you HAVE to give him a treat, I would suggest a piece of fresh apple (without the skin, and about the same size as a raisin). If you think about it, since it's fresh and not dried out, the sugar content is not as concentrated as a raisin, but they'll love it just the same. Just remember, less is better, but i know how hard it is to resist watching them beg and enjoy a treat....try to stay strong!
www.lonestarchinchilla.com sells fresh Mazuri pellets as well as other products for chins. Shipping is a little expensive but it's worth it.
Also, if your chin is still having soft poop, try to make sure he/she is drinking enough fresh water, so that he/she does not dehydrate.