Chin behavior? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Chin behavior?

I noticed a couple of things today and since I'm a new owner I want to make sure everything is normal

1. LOTS of energy - I've had my chin for a month now and he used to be pretty calm. The past couple of days he's gotten more and more active. Today I opened his cage and he jumped right on my arm and ran to his play area. For a good 40 minutes he was running and literally bouncing off alls. I'm assuming all of this energy is a good thing?

2. I also noticed he would be standing still and then out of nowhere we would jump straight up and then take off running, almost as if he were pricked with a needle or something. Is he feeling pain or just being playful?

3. Different play time - he used to always play around 7 p.m, but now he's ready to play at 2 p.m which is when he should be asleep. What's going on?

Are these normal behaviors or should I be worried?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 08:22 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Welcome to the world of chinchillas.

The energy is totally normal. The jumping straight up is what we call popcorning. He's just happy and excited.

The play time can just be him adjusting to your schedule.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I looked up popcorning on youtube and that's exactly that he did. I'm glad I know what it is, I was really worried that he was having some brain problems haha!

Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 07:35 PM

haha, my chins do that too.. sometimes they want to play at 1 pm, sometimes they dont until 8.... sometimes they will be sleeping ans all the sudden jump up and race around the cage... just seems to be how they do...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 04:12 PM

Yeah it really freaks me out too. I've only had mine two days, and I get scared that she is braindamaged when she does the popcorning thing.

I suppose they are just really excitable.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I love to watch mine popcorn! And now that I know its because he's happy it makes it much more enjoyable. They are very excitable; just being out of their cage seems to be a huge joy. I try to let mine out at least three hours a day, but even after that he bites at his cage to come back out
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janelle View Post
I love to watch mine popcorn! And now that I know its because he's happy it makes it much more enjoyable. They are very excitable; just being out of their cage seems to be a huge joy. I try to let mine out at least three hours a day, but even after that he bites at his cage to come back out
Yeah it's so hard not to do whatever my chinchilla wants.