chin with broken leg? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 01:28 AM
cosmo

Unhappy chin with broken leg?

I think my poor Cosmo has a broken leg. It got freakishly caught in his wheel at 10pm tonight. My vet is closed so I have to wait until the morning but does anybody have advice of anything that could help him in the meantime? I have him separated from the two females he is caged with in a smaller cage so that he can't try to use it as much. He can't put any weight on it. My poor baby! If anyone has advice or has been through this before, please help!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 01:48 AM

I have had two chins each lose a toe do to an older cage that I have since thrown out. One of my chins was stuck for a while it seems and wasn't able to use his let for a few days. I was lucky enough to live 5 minutes from an animal emergency clinic and there wasn't much that they could do. They told me that he may never get the use of his leg but lucky enough for me he is fully functional. It may be that he has just dislocated it or it is just really sore. There really isn't much more you can do for him than what you have already done so good luck at the vets tomorrow and hopefully it will be the same thing that happened to my chin!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 02:44 AM

I just went through a broken leg a few months ago with one of my chins. All you can really do is put him in a smaller cage, which you've already done, I would take his food and water away for the night just incase he needs surgury tomorrow when you get him to the vet. My Nicodemus wound up being on his badly broken leg for a day and a half before he had surgury (we opted for amputation) and he made it through with flying colors... at 7 years old I might add. Just try to keep him as calm/quiet and possible and get him to the vet as soon as they open in the morning. Try not to worry too much!

I don't know if this will even apply to your situation, but I just want to tell you just in case so you can be prepared... If surgury is neccesary, ask your vet to use Isoflourane or sevoflourane gas, it is supposed to be the best for chins, and in my personal experiance it worked great. Also if it comes down to amputation, or you have make a decision about repair or amputation I want to tell you that a chin with three legs gets along just fine! I hope I didn't scare you too much, I just wanted to give you some info to go to the vets with, I know it helped me when I was in your situation. Best of luck to you and Cosmo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 06:15 PM
cosmo

Thank you for telling me your experiences. The vet knew about what anesthesia to use when I took him in this morning, but she's waiting for the vet who knows more about chins to come in to look at him. They think they can probably splint it because she's pretty sure it's a broken tibia. The only problem with that is that he will probably try to gnaw on it so he'd have to wear a collar. I just hope that wouldn't put him off his food, though. He's being very brave and hanging in there. I will update everyone when I know what's going on myself. Thank you again!!

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 09:37 PM
Akasha

awww poor little guy hope ever thing goes ok wishing him the best of luck!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 03:19 PM

I hope everything goes well, it's good to hear that he might not need surgury and it sounds like you've got a good vet too! If you need any help with feeding, collars (I made my own so that he could eat with it on) , giving medicine or anything like that let me know, I can probably offer some advice. Hugs to you and Cosmo
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 03:43 PM
Akasha

how is he doing?

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 05:23 PM
cosmo

I just brought Cosmo home. I had a choice of having it surgically pinned or having it splinted. Although I would have done the surgery ideally, I just can't afford it right now. So he has a big, huge, pink splint on it. He is on painkillers to help with any pain and he has to wear the splint for three to six weeks. He is still eating so I am really happy about that

Thank you all so much for your help and concern. I really appreciate it. Hopefully all will go smoothly from here and he won't try gnawing on the splint or anything!!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 05:36 PM
Akasha

well it sounds like he's doing good, poor little guy. keep us posted on his progress

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 07:07 PM

How is Cosmo doing? Is his splint holding up?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 02:12 PM
cosmo

Cosmo's splint is holding up really well. I think he goes for his recheck not this week but next. He is not chewing on it at all or anything so that's good. He seems less and less depressed so that's good. I just hope that the splint isn't giving him sores. He is still very tender when I touch his left back side where the leg is broken. Hopefully he is just protective over it because of what happened and there's nothing wrong. He's being such a brave little guy!! Thank you all for you concern and advice!!

Tags
broken leg