Chin people--Any ideas? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Chin people--Any ideas?

So Peanut has been at the vet for over a week now. I originally took him in because he had a watery eye. He was on SMZ antibiotics for 2 weeks and then was prescribed Baytril for a week. I went out of town and left him to be boarded so that his medicine would get given while I was gone.

During the time I was in Vegas he stopped eating completely. The vet's office started giving him canned pumpkin so he would have some nutrition.

My vet called yesterday after they did x-rays and said they saw absolutely nothing wrong. Stomach looked fine. Teeth looked fine. I was completely and totally ready for it to be teeth. Now that it's not, I'm at a loss. My vet isn't sure either. She has given him something that started with an "R" twice to get any blockage out of his stomach.

I'm bringing him home today. He's off the antibiotics and I'm hoping that his appetite will increase. Can anyone think of anything else I could/should be doing?

Edit: I forgot to add that he was getting acidophilus in a raising once daily between antiobiotics doses.

Last edited by indychinchick; 03-28-2006 at 08:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 10:53 AM
Tiny Grosskisser

Did the vet clinic give you any Critical Care?? That's what I usually have to feed after one of my chins is sick and goes through a surgery or something else. That way at least he has something in his tummy.

Other than that, I'm at a loss for what else to tell you, except this:
Get well soon Peanut!

Karen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks Karen. The vet did mention sending him home with some critical care. Peanut should be home by now. My boyfriend picked him up for me. I'll see him when I get home from work. I'm really hoping that I can at least get him to eat the hay at home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 02:41 PM
Adolescent Pup

The "R" medicine was most likely Reglan. I would suggest getting him on the Critical Care ASAP to keep something in his stomach so it won't shut down on us. I would also suggest mixing up a dry formula of some kind for him too to see if he would eat that. Dawnna in IL has one that you can order, or I also have the mix that the JAGS use on hand too. The JAGS' mix is as follows:

1 Part Powdered Calf Milk Replacer
1 Part Crushed Chinchilla Pellets
1 Part 50/50 Mix of Rice Baby Cereal and Oatmeal Baby Cereal

It's worth a shot to see if he'll even just pick at it.

I'm surprised the vet couldn't find anything wrong at all. Did they do Xrays of anything other than his teeth/skull and the stomach?

keep us posted and if I think of anything else I'll let you know.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 07:38 PM
Adolescent Pup

I've heard many good things about Dawnna's "LifeLine" , and I've started using it as a preventative.
I'm sure Jade will have some great advice....

~Misty~

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thank guys. I actually have some Life Line on the way. There was some trouble with the shipping address or I would already have it. I keep reassuring Peanut that the good stuff is on the way. I've been syringe feeding all the canned pumpkin he'll take, which isn't much as he's getting tired of it. He'll eat a few seeds here and there and a tiny amount of hay, but not much. I'm really hoping for a Life Line miracle.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 12:13 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

One of my guys just had some thing with his liver

At first we thought it was his teeth it was wrong with...
He didn't eat, or at least it wase'nt much...
The vet told me he felt nauseous when he ate, because of the liver problem!
They vet needs to take a blood sample to check for liver problems...!

He also had bronchitis though....

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Liver? I've never heard of liver problems in chins. If things don't improve I'll bring that up to my vet.
The Life Line has been helping. His level of activity has improved. He tried to bite me twice yesterday during the whole syringe feeding of the LL. I was just happy he had enough energy to do that! He really hadn't had any energy to put up much of a fight before that. He has started nibbling on hay cubes so I'm hoping that means we are on our way to his appetite coming back. Until then, he's getting as much LL mixed with Dyne (to prevent weightloss) as he'll eat.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Tiny Grosskisser

I'm glad someone posted about the Lifeline, because I had never heard of it up until now.

I'm glad it is working for you Katie. I hope that Peanut is well on his way to a full recovery. I may end up trying that Lifeline for my chins if I ever need to use it!

Karen

[

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 03:24 PM
Adolescent Pup

Any major improvements?

I haven't heard of any liver problems before, either but a blood test may be a good idea. The problem is that he would have to be restrained to have his blood drawn and possibly knocked out...with him being as weak as he is, I wouldn't risk it at this point.

~*Mandi*~

Mommy to Merlin, Milo, and Gryffin!

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Well, I got him to eat pellets this weekend! It was funny, though. All my chins eat Tradition pellets but I had a bag of Mazuri left from a sample I got with a shipment from Lonestar. He ate the Mazuri pellets but won't touch the Tradition anymore. He didn't eat many of them, but any at all is an improvement. I just thought it was funny that since he's been sick he's been a VERY picky eater, and he's got Mom feeding him any little thing he wants.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 11:07 AM
Kansas City Chinchillas

Liver problems are common in chins who have not received the correct nutrition - too much sugar, too much fat and things like that or other exposures that tax the liver. Not saying you have done this Indychinchick I'm sure you take wonderful care of your chins.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 11:10 AM
Adolescent Pup

Thanks for the insight, Cathy!

I'm glad that he's eating pellets again for you. Is he eating hay, as well?

~*Mandi*~

Mommy to Merlin, Milo, and Gryffin!

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

He isn't eating the loose hay very much but he nibbles on the cubes--go figure.
There shouldn't be much of a cause for worry with the liver, then. I regulate their diet very closely. They don't get much fat or sugar at all.
I've talked with Peanut's breeder. She has said there is no history of teeth problems with Peanut's line. She suggested a possible upper respiratory infection. Anyone have experience with this?

Tags
chinchilla pellets, hay cubes, respiratory infection, upper respiratory infection, vet clinic