Chin possibly in danger :( prego? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Unhappy Chin possibly in danger :( prego?

I recieved a chinchilla about 4 weeks or so ago. It wasn't my decision my mom just said her friends friend had chinchilla litter and so she got a cage and a chinchilla. Anyways, everybodies saying she's pregnant even though there's no way to tell from what I've researched. She's possibly 6mo old or close to it and if she's pregnant she got pregnant from someone in her litter, which is concern number 1. She's also 6mo old and a sapphire black which is concern number 2, as I read they need to be 1.5 years before mating. (can stop reading here if bored, just need information mainly, rest is just more background) Im relatively furious at the lack of responsibility the previous owners showed towards their chinchillas, as this seems like blatant irresponsibility to me not separating sexually mature chinchillas. They've had another accidental litter since then. One of the kids of this family with the litters was over and said "yep she's pregnant" but he's also a 10 yr old kid and they like to say whatever to be the center of attention. She's kinda nippy, broken skin on one person but is a doll with me. She is skittish with being touched still but she'll crawl out of her cage on me and whatnot and i try not to chase her. Her stomach seems squishy and not firm but she'd be a first time mother and 1 kit might be hard to miss. Please help i dont want her to die
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Newborn Pup

Put up a picture, all the details that you put, seem to say pregnancy is not the case. A ten year old is not really the person. Also, if the she comes out, she probably is not pregnant, many will not come out at all. Good luck!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

it wont let me post the pics because im less than a 20 post count =/ any way to get around that? >.< i personally dont think she's pregnant but everyone else seems to think so, thats why im just taking precautions. thanks alot for helping. oh, she's also very active when out of her cage and runs and chirps (or squeaks w/e )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

false alarm. i just let the male and female play together and attempted mounting occurred which would imply she's in heat, yes? there's no long nipples for me to infer that she's close to labor and able to get pregnant again.

Last edited by flazien; 01-17-2012 at 09:36 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 09:21 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

well you have 2 options really... get her spayed and therefore she wont have a baby if she is preggers or assume she is and wait and see and go from there.

attempted mounting i wouldn't say means anything as to if she is or not.. but i would not let them out together.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

ok, thank you. is she in danger of dying from being too young if she is pregnant? i read that somewhere but cant give much credit to the source, i dont even remember where i read it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 01:10 PM
Newborn Pup

I am almost positive she is not. Just proceed with caution like Kendalle said. It is dangerous for them to be pregnant young, but just be careful, she does not seem to have the symptoms, but if they develop,take her to the vet.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 10:12 PM
Newborn Pup

there won't be long teets until shes close to delivery, theres really no wayto tell except to wait teh 111 days.

Safe and inexpensive chinchilla supplies:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
aggression, chinchilla, death, pregnant, premature