Chin Urinating Everywhere - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Chin Urinating Everywhere

It seems like my chin (Puffy, 11 yr old male) is urinating everywhere and it's becoming a nuisance. I've heard it said that most animals won't urinate where they sleep or eat but mine doesn't seem to care! He urinates in his bath box, next to his food, and on his 'bed'. He sleeps in a plastic box house which I line and cover with soft blanket scraps. I have to change it almost everyday because he urinates on it. I have tried everything, including every type of litter on the pet store shelf, newspaper, hay, cardboard, and combinations of each. I lay newspaper down in the room when he is out to play and he uses that most of the time but will jump up on the furniture when I'm not looking and pee, including any pillows he may find there. I say a gentle 'no' when I catch him and get him back to his cage for 'punishment'. What is up with this behavior? Or is this just normal stuff? Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 10:00 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Have you tried calling a vet?
It could sound like an infection.

What's next to his water bottle?
I know that GP's can get a stereotype behaviour, where they lick on their salt block, then drink water, and they just do this over and over. That might be the problem with your boy.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 06:08 PM
Newborn Pup

usually they have a few spots to urinate in, but i never heard of one just going everywhere in the cage, but that doesn't mean its not normal either, because i never had more than 6 at any one time. did he always go like this, if not, i would call a vet.

something else you could do is try to litter box train him, but then again, if he's going every where in the cage, that might be hard to do.

Safe and inexpensive chinchilla supplies:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Urine Stains

I want to guess that this urinating might have something to do with his terratorial issues? But that wouldn't explain why he would urinate near his food bowls. Then again, I started putting newspaper under his bowls to help stop the 'spatter' and I use newspaper for his 'potty' when he's outside his cage, so maybe he's confused. It's probably all my fault since I've changed things on him when he's used to it one way. But why does he hop up on my couch and pee, either on the throw pillows or directly on the fabric or throws I put there? If I don't watch him like a hawk he will do the deed before I can stop it from happening. It's become so frustrating and I don't let him out as often and as long because of this. I feel bad but the urine stains! Any suggestions?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Urinating Chin

Oh, and as for the salt block...I rarely see him licking it anymore. It appears untouched.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Have you taken him to a vet? That sounds like a medical issue, not a behavioral one.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Tags
bedding, urinating, urine