chin won't take her bath - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Question

I have a 5 year old std grey female chin who has always been eager to jump into the dust bath. Over the past couple of weeks she's not interested whatsoever in taking a bath. She exhibits no other abnormal symptoms. She's eating well, playing well. Anyone know of what could cause this "bath avoidance"? Wonder if it's because she's a teenager.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 01:05 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Try taking the sand away form here, and only let her get near the sand when shes outside the cage.

If this dosen't work, don't let her get near the sand in about a week, and then give give it back to here again.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 05:15 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

How often do you give her a bath? You don't really need to do it everyday and if you're leaving the dust inside the cage then she might not be using it because it's dirty.

*Missy*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

chin won't take her bath

I only give dust baths once or twice a week. The dust bowl doesn't reside inside the cage.
She finally went into the dust bath a few days ago and flip flopped around for a few seconds. That was good enough for me.
Thanks for the advice.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 10:00 PM

Hailey did that once. Because she got them too much and too long. Stop giving it to her, or change the container it is in. The first one I used hurt Hailey and she did not use it because of that.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

chin won't take her bath

How did you determine that the bath "bowl" hurt her? I'm using one of those plastic triangular bath houses at Petsmart or Superpetz.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 09:07 PM

I used a plastic glad bowl because she liked sleeping in the one at the petstore so I wanted something big but, I figured it out because she never tipped it before. I used a shorter one before, sides were shorter, I am pretty sure climbing in it was hurting her. Because when I changed it she stopped tipping it over. And climbed in and bathed. She would ti[ it and then step in it and just walk away unamused.

With the triangular houses, I had a friend whos chin did not like the "lack of room". They love to flop around and play in the sand so maybe try a very low-sided container that has no top. I hope this helps my chin is a bit weird...but she is a trip.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Part of the Pack

I used to use a container with no tops, but my room got WAY too full of dust cause it would fly everywhere! So I use the plastic dust bath Houses they sell at the pet stores. My chinnies love to sleep in them too. So I have three. One for their cage (attatched)
And two for dust bath outside the cage. At the moment I only have one out (I built them a toy for xmas made of wood that holds their house so it doesnt move around and has a hay rack on it.. they love it!) but because there is only one, Marlo usually gets in it first and Kassy goes Crazy! Jumping up at least a foot in the air cause shes frustrated haha. She also just starts rolling outside of the dust house door as if she cant wait any longer! ive gotten some GREAT pictures from her haha. what cuties..
using the houses keeps the dust level in my room a little lower, but it sucks cause of the lack of room..
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

maybe you could get the covered cat boxes, lucy my cat has one its big, and has a cover so the dust wouldnt get all over

[/CENTER]

Tags
dust bath, dust baths, hay rack, pet store, pet stores