Chinchilla is acting crazy - heat exhaustion? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

Chinchilla is acting crazy - heat exhaustion?

I'm a little concerned about my chinchilla getting heatstroke. My roommate likes to turn up the heat during summer in Arizona, which makes no sense - although I can't help the problem. If necessary, I will buy a small AC unit to cover the chinchilla's cage, because I'm very worried about her.

Symptoms:
-Running around like crazy, won't let me corral her back into her cage (which is spacious, and she shouldn't mind it)
- Trying to jump on the walls. There is no ledge, she just is making a jump up a wall, and running circles around the room.
- Jumping at the window. She really seems to run along the wall with a large window, perhaps because there is cool air emanating.
- laying down with a sleepy demeanor. It takes her a few seconds to get up if i come start petting her, like she doesn't even notice

I just get this feeling like she's trying to escape the room because it's too hot. It sure feels hot to me, at least. Fortunately, Tucson has very low humidity, but I don't know if that's enough. I turned the heat off, which my roommate won't notice since he leaves the vent in his room closed anyways (yet insists on heating the house, go figure). I also put some frozen cans and vegetable packs, covered in socks, into the cage. She did not touch the socks, perhaps because she doesn't realize that they will keep her cool.

She is sleeping sort of bunched up on the surface of one of the metal shelves in the cage.

Things I did not notice:
-I can't tell if her ears are pink or not
-She is breathing faster than me, but not super fast. maybe a breath per second.
-She is not drowsy at all, and jumps around when I wake her up.

It's not even heat stroke I'm so worrid about, as much as heat exhaustion. Even if my chin is in no danger of dying, I still want her to be comfortable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 04:56 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

The only thing I know about chins and temperature is that it should be like, 60 something degrees for them.

Anyone else with more experience?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 05:52 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

She just sounds like she is having fun and playing around.

You should not get an AC, it will just make her sick - try making a cooling-house for her instead: http://chinchillabladet.dk/index.php...et-kolesovehus (it's in danish, but I think you can get the idea by looking at the pictures)

If she uses up a lot of energy (and it sounds like she is, the way you describe her playing around), sometimes she will just need a rest If they are very tired, it can take, what seams like quite a long time to respond.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 08:15 AM
Will It Ever Change?

all i really know about chins also goes for degus. they have no way of 'sweating' or cooling themselves so they cant cool off if the room is too warm. is the cage in a shady spot?

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 08:27 AM

Actually, the chinchilla can use it's ears to cool off.
Thats why they are so big, and have no fur, plus they are very thin.
It's a bit like the elephants big ears

Thats also why their ears get very hot if they are to how, and with beige chinchillas, you can see the ears turn a dark read if they are too hot.

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 08:38 AM
Will It Ever Change?

ohhh i see! thanks for clearing that up lol so then my info just applies to goos i guess

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 08:42 AM

Well, it is kinda right.
They cant cool down really fast, and that can be fatal

But they can get rid of some heat this way

Do goos hyperventilate when they get too hot, or what do they do?
I mean, they must try to do something to get cooled down?

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 02:19 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My chinchilla does all of the things you mentioned and he is in a cool room Sometimes when mine gets excited he runs around like he's crazy and then he'll literally bounce off the walls ("wall surfing"). I was concerned at first too! Sounds like your chinchilla is just having fun. Mine also loves to sit on the window sill. I think they do like the cool air that comes in. Also, about the "sleepy demeanor", mine does that too after a nice, long playtime. He lets me know when he needs to rest by laying down and not getting up quickly when I touch him. Sometimes he even looks at me like I irritate him because he just wants to nap! You might want to buy a piece or marble or granite and freeze it. Your chin will love to stretch out on it and it will stay cool for a very long time.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

One more thing... about not wanting to go into the cage. My chin has a big cage too, but no matter what, he NEVER wants playtime to end. Chins are like kids who love playing and never want to stop.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

I'm glad to hear that the chinchilla isn't going nuts from the heat!

She still acts really crazy. Sometimes it can be surprising. I was expecting a calm, irritable animal like my rabbit - instead the chinchilla is very social and responds when you talk to her! I'm amazed at her intelligence, as well. She tries to gnaw at the edges of the door all the time.

When the cat comes in, she starts to jump against that side of the cage and gnash at the cat, so I assume she doesn't like it.

I suppose chinchilla's are alot more wild than I thought.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 04:24 PM

I guess you should have done some more reserch... Especially if you expected an animal kinda like your rabbit...

They've only been domesticated for at little under 100 years, so they are still very wild.
They like to have a cage-mate.
Don't put more than two together though, they are not that social.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UZssWkp25JM&feature=related
Very typical chinchilla-play

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 10:33 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Chinchillas are very rewarding animals to have. Even though they're not "cuddly" you can still tell that they love you and want to be with you. My chin will pout in his cage if he doesn't get out of his cage by 7pm. Also, if I let him out and start to do something else, like use the computer, he will jump on me until I get down on the floor and play him. Chinchillas are very full of energy and I would definitely recommend that you spend a lot of one on one time with yours tylerthedruid, especially if you want him to be less wild. I think their spunky, crazy personalitie is what makes them such a great little animal. I just wish I could stop spoiling mine
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

How is your baby doing?
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janelle View Post
How is your baby doing?
She seems to be fine. She has been pretty hyper lately!

I take it from your posts that you are a new chinchilla owner, too.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 06:03 PM

Awe...i miss when mine had their big room. That is their way of fun! My babies have a big cage, but freedom is so much better! It sounds like just play time to me.