Chinchilla is acting strange... Help!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Chinchilla is acting strange... Help!!

My room-mate gave me his pet chinchilla, which i absolutely adore! I was confused by her behavior yesterday, however.

At night, I let her out to run around my room... and usually she will run up to me and hop around me when i change her dust and put fresh food in her cage.

Yesterday, she hid underneath a book shelf and kept making repetitive squeeking sounds... then when i tried to find her, she would stop. In the morning, she did not respond to the sound of food going in her bowl.... and instead, hid inside my dresser and kept moving elsewhere when i tried to grab here. Now she is hiding again somewhere and completely silent.

I'm concerned about what caused this change of behavior. She is usually very social.. and she is making it difficult for me to even find her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

i had something similair with my old chinchilla try putting her dust bath in the middle of the room she will eventaully want it then u can catch her in the bath hope this helps
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 08:16 PM
Playful Pup

if you put a large cardboard tube(chubes) in front of a chin they tend to crawl inside and you can then cover the ends with your hands then put it in the cage, this has worked when i was watching my mom's chin for awhile.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 10:03 AM
Playful Pup

I'm not sure what the change of behavior is about but I've had to dismantle furniture before to get chins out. I have one that likes to get stuck in places no matter how well I chin-proof the room. The last time he got up underneath and inside the couch by making a hole in the fabric. I had to take the couch apart.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
behavior, chinchilla