Chinchilla Bonding - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Chinchilla Bonding

I've had my chinchilla for 7 months now and I feel like we haven't really bonded. She'll climb on my lap a little when I let her out to play, but she won't let me hold her or really pet her when she's not in her cage. She loves to be pet through the bars of her cage but when I sit by her cage to do my homework or read she starts running back and forth and throws her bedding around. I'm not sure if I'm doing anything wrong because I am being very patient and gentle with her so she doesn't feel threatened. Is there anything else I can be doing to make her bond with me more or should I just keep being patient with her?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 09:17 AM
Rodentologist

Honestly she sounds like a completely normal chinchilla. Most don't like to be held and petted like a dog -- they're active and enjoy exploring and hopping around.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Awesome. I just worry because I've never owned a chinchilla before. I read all the websites and try to keep her healthy and happy. But all the websites say that she should be ok with me holding her and stuff and Cha Cha, my chinchilla, really doesn't like that. So I felt like maybe I was doing something wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 01:21 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Some do not mind being held and some do not like it at all.
A few like being held, but for the most part they just tolerate it.

None of mine likes being held. They do like to sit on my shoulder though. For them to do that, you need to hold on to the tail, because some animals think they can jump down when they like, or run down your back...

You could also try and sit or lay down with a sweater on. Some chinchillas really like sitting underneath a sweater while you have it on.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
bonding, chinchilla