chinchilla Cages - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Exclamation chinchilla Cages

i bought a cage for my chinchillas, and it was a ferret cage.... but i looked up the cage and every wbesite ( of reputable source) said it was a good cage for chinchillas "the best" in fact....

but i have a problem and i need to know how to fix it asap

their poo, is constantly fleeing the cage along with everything else, i have had chinchillas for years and this has never been a problem, there is pee ruining the carpet and my mom is getting pi**** off what should i do? its a two story three teir cage and i dont want to go any smaller, but i will get a new cage, or is there a way i can adapt the cage?

(its called somthing like ferret hotel, or mansion)

please all suggestions are help ful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 05:02 AM
Adolescent Pup

a picture of the cage and set up would help a lot.

things that help are

- poo guards
-cage cover (a light fleece is best)
- deep base pans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kyo &
Krypto
1 poodle - Kitty
1 Mini Dachshund - Ivy

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

whats a poo cover, and the fleece things you are talking about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

i
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...:referralID=NA

this is the best i can do for a picture, but thats the cage!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Adolescent Pup

That is the cage I have for my chins. I got deeper metal trays made to keep everything in. The poo still flies out on occasion, but I don't have any pee coming from the cage. The trays are about an inch and a half deep.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

where did you get those?
are they for the ledges too?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Adolescent Pup

cool. this is what my cage looks like and it keeps most of everything is side with the exception a little bit out the.front

shelves (work well as poo guards) I got them from SIMPLY CHINTASTIC!
or these Chinchilla Cage Guard Set

pans are from Bass equipment

the cover is Mansion Cage Cover then I use fleecy blankets to line it so they don't eat the cover.

Kyo &
Krypto
1 poodle - Kitty
1 Mini Dachshund - Ivy

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Adolescent Pup

I did not order them through a company because my grandpa knows someone who did metal working so I didn't have to find a company, but before I realized that I searched for some and Bass Equipment was one I recognize.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 11:38 AM
Part of the Pack

Heres what I did to my cage. Redid everything with Pine wood and make little poop guards around the edges to keep it from flying around. I also used plexiglass on the bottom for their pee area. They LOVE IT!

http://nik8806.smugmug.com/Chinchill...47723425_Gs7re

If the link doesnt work its
http://nik8806.smugmug.com/
Under Chinchilla folder
Then go to Chinchilla 2009
Then on page 4 and 5 you will find the new cage setup If you click on the picture it will make it larger.

I have also modified it a bit. Adding a flying saucer wheel (highly reccomend this!) and making the pee area half the sixe of the bottom shelf.
Hope this helps! It cost a bit of money to do, but wasnt too tough. And TOTALLY worth it.

Last edited by nik8806; 05-13-2010 at 11:47 AM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Newborn Pup

where do you have the guard set.. its hard for me to tell, unless they are onthe bottom, but i just thought they were the metal pans from bass..

jean

Safe and inexpensive chinchilla supplies:

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 11:56 PM
Part of the Pack

I learned to use fleece fabric in the cage..... it makes for easy clean up - just take out side and shake.

R h a p s o d y -
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Yvy
Newborn Pup

Hi am wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a good (and preferably attractive looking) chin cage. I have 2 males, father and son and at present they are in a standard metal cage from Pets at Home. Soon after getting them the father started to bite the babys whiskers and fur around his eyes which causes him to have white mucus in eyes and they sometimes stick together. I have since separated them in the cage with a purpose build separator with door. When his eyes are fine I let them play together as they love to be with each other and snuggle up to sleep, but if they look like have been bitten or may get sore I separate them again. My problem is that they then only have half the space they should have (even though they come out to play every day) and I want a larger cage that can be separated occasionally. I am struggling to find one in the UK that does not have plastic. My chins are chewers and no way could I put plastic in their surroundings. Also some cages such as the Liberta Happy House has unsafe ladders that they can catch their feet in.

Can anyone help or direct me to a suitable retailer?

Tags
cages, chinchilla