Chinchilla+Dog=??? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Chinchilla+Dog=???

So, I was on Craiglist earlier and checked the pets section. Guess what? There's a Chinchilla Rescue starting in boring old Jackson! :happy: That's right!

I am so gonna rescue a chinchilla instead of buying one from Petsmart for 200 dollars which I do not have.

But I have one problem: There's Maxine.

I mean, Maxine is pretty tolerant of rodents, but when I would feed my hamsters, she would sit there all alert and when I close the cage, she'd lick her lips. That was scary. I tied her up that night.

Anyways, any of you guys have dogs and chinchillas? Are the cages pretty dog-proof? Should I not get a chinchilla? Do you think it's possible to train Maxine to not mess with the little chinchilla?

I mean, I can't say what she was thinking but I know she was staring pretty hard.

Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pet Parent to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Golden/Labrador Retriever: Maxine

My Two Favorite Dwarf Hamsters:

Love you buddy, I'll see you later: Ozzy

Gone, but never forgotten: Drix

I liked this smiley so I just had to add it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 03:56 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

I don't think your dog will hurt the chinchilla. But if she's a hunting dog or just have instincts like one, she might try and get it if you let it run out when she's there.
My mom and dad has a flatcoated retriver. She would never touch the chinchillas while in their cages, neither would she do anything to them while someone is holding one, and she gets to touch them. But if they were running around - well, i'm not sure what she would do, so it would never happen.
But some dogs do just fine with chinchillas

You just need to look at how your dog reacts when you get the little critter. I think it's quite easy to see when the "hunting instincts" kick in, if you know the dog
And if she reacts like she tinks it's something to play with, or food, just don't let the chinnie run out with the dog in the same room

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 06:41 PM

What kind of dog is she? I have heard of a lot of dogs getting along with chinchilla's...and it depends...the chinchilla might be more scared of the dog then the dog of the chinchilla. Goodluck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 07:17 PM

That reminds me of something...
My old male HATES my dog
He thinks he is able to kille her
He's not scared of her at all, he tries to get up in the cage, so he can look down at her, og tries to get down to her and bite her

So sometimes the chinchillas can act very weird when it comes to othe animals (he do not mind the cat at all )

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

thx chinchi for the help. and lol, your male sounds cool.

btw, she's a golden retriever with some lab. she may have a little chow because her tongue has a black spot. but that's what the vet told us. idk. she looks like a retriever/lab to me.

Pet Parent to:

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 06:32 PM

Our flatcoated got a black spot on her toung too...

But then she must have all the hunting instincts...But normally labradors and gondens are nice dogs, so I don't think you need to worry.
Just because she licks her mouth it dosen't mean she wants to eat the critter

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

kk, thx alot for the info. now there's the process of convincing my mom to let me adopt one. wish me luck!!

Pet Parent to:

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 09:40 PM

just remember that a dog could be VERY stressful to a chin
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarita2004 View Post
just remember that a dog could be VERY stressful to a chin
o, i wouldn't want the chin to be stressed out!

maybe i should just volunteer at the chinny rescue. then i'd be able to care for them. i need the service hours anyways.

Pet Parent to:

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 05:59 PM

Another thing to bear in mind is costs.... you mentioned that you thought pet store prices were too high, but if your chinchilla ever need veterinary treatment costs could escalate very quickly. I had a chinchilla who sadly died of malocclusion, but treatment wasn't cheap and even then it couldn't save him.

Chinchillas are seen as exotics in most practices (they are here in the UK anyway!) so they often charge more money to examine them etc. Chin cages are also quite expensive and you have to pay out for wood chews, high quality pellets, hay etc regularly that can soon add up too. I have three chinchillas, not that many but husbandry costs can soon add up even then! I spent about £100 last month on chew toys, hay, pellets, grasses and things for them. Ok, I hope that will last a little while........... but even so... you get the idea!

They are wonderful critters though. If you can help out at the rescue I think you would find it really rewarding, you'd have the pleasure without the expense too!

I hope you don't mind me mentioning this, it's just another factor you may want to consider that's all.

There was a sad incident on a chin forum I go on in the Uk recently, where a dog got into a chin room and killed two of the chinchillas. I think you'd need to be sure you could have the chins in a room that the dog cannot access for the chins to be truly safe. If you can't ensure that, I don't think it would work. Chins need to have free range time etc and if it wouldn't be safe, it would be hard. They can be *very* destructive too, so any room you let them out in would also need to be chinchilla proof! (Is there such a thing?) Ours have eaten walls, skirting boards etc.

Hope this helps you in your decision. Maybe research them as a future possibility? That's what I did before I got my three. I must post pics at some point - I didn't have them last time I came on PT. They are lovely chins, I wouldn't be without them now!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 07:20 AM

Angry chinci vs. dog

last night my daughters' 2 chincis' got out. well we caught one and the other was still running around. my dog, Australian Shepard, got ahold of it. he held it in his mouth. when my daughter saw this she yelled at him. he dropped it. it ran across the room, then died..so sad. she had those for about 10 yrs. since they were small. i don't advise putting a dog with something he's gonna chase.. dogs chase rabbits..
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

old thread.

[/CENTER]

Tags
chew toy, chew toys, chin room, golden retriever, pet store