Chinchilla emergency - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Chinchilla emergency

Hello,
I have a slight problem with one of my chinchillas, her name is Gracie. Gracie is about 3 months old and we bought her about two weeks ago. Last Monday I noticed that her eye was injured and very swollen. I brought Gracie to the vets on Tuesday. The vet gave me ointment to give Gracie four times a day. We went back to the vets on Friday and she thought that the swelling may be due to an abscess behind the eye. The vet gave me antibiotics and pain killers for Gracie. The vet also said that Gracie's eye may need to be amputated.
Not sure if anyone can help me with this decision. It costs about 1,000 (which I can barely afford) for this surgery and she may not make it through the surgery alive. Are there any alternatives to this? What would happen if I kept the eye in the socket and she did have an abscess? I really don't know what to do.

Ashley
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0328101224.jpg (49.0 KB, 9 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 12:08 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I would suggest x-rays first to see if it's a dental issue rather than an eye issue. Eye problems have been the first indicator in two of my chinchillas of tooth root issues.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks! I am taking her back to the vets tomorrow morning, I will suggest to get some xrays done. The swelling has gone down a lot since Friday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Unhappy update

Gracie went to the vets today and is going to go through a series of tests tomorrow and then (if it is an abscess, which the vet is almost positive it is) she is going to have surgery to get her eye enucleated. Gracie only weighs 334 grams. Has anyone ever had to put their chinchilla through surgery? If so, how did it go? I'm just a little nervous for Gracie. Thanks!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 07:07 AM
Kansas City Chinchillas

Which antibiotic did the vet give you?

334 grams is an OK weight for a 3 month old. Hopefully you have a vet who is experienced in chin surgery. If so things should be OK.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

The vet gave me Metacam to give her once daily and Bactril to give her twice daily. She had the surgery yesturday morning and came back home last night. She's doing great! Hopping around, eating, and acting like the same old Gracie!
Thank you!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Adolescent Pup

i hope she gets better!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 05:29 PM
chinchilla breeder

I am glad she came through the Surgery

Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..

Tags
chinchilla eye infection