chinchilla eye crusted shut - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

chinchilla eye crusted shut

Hi,
I have a problem with one of my chinchillas. For awhile now, it seems that the fur around her eye pokes her in the eye. Usually this makes her eye slightly smaller than the other one, but this morning I woke up and noticed that the corner of her eye was crusted shut. I put a warm compress on the eye and it opened up enough for me to look at it. There appears to be no redness, which makes me believe that it may not be necassary for the vet to look at it (at this point). I did give her a dust bath last night. What should I do, any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Ashley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 05:47 PM
chinchilla breeder

You really should go the the vet. Crusted eye can be a tooth issue, or URI and a URI caught early is very treatable. At the very least you will need medicated eye drops.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kristy Morici
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 06:18 PM
Newborn Pup

What did you do, Ashley? I just joined so so could find out about our chinchilla whose eye just crusted shut. Same as Ashley's.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Well she's been having minor eye problems every so often that always seem to clear up on her own. By the looks of it, I think some of her fur may be irratating her eye.
So when I found her eye crusted shut, I figured it was probably due to the dust bath I had given her the night before. I put a warm cottonball on it to loosen the crusties up and continued to do so for a day. So far it seems to have cleared up on its own. But if it comes back, I'll be bringing her to the vets.
Does your chinchilla have a similar problem? Eye infections are really common, two of my four chinchillas have had pretty serious ones which is when I brought them to the vets. I definatley wouldn't give the chinchilla a dust bath until the eye looks better. Hope I helped.

Ashley
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 09:20 PM
chinchilla breeder

I have 100 chinchillas give or take a few. I have only 2 that have re-ocuring eye issues that are a minor thing. One is a dwarf female with abnormally small eyes the other is a girl who has a minor tear duct issue that causes her eye to water everytime she gets a dust bath. Eye issues are in my experiance usually related to teeth issues especially if re-occuring regulary, a URI , a cornea scratch or infection in the eye are the most common issues in the eye

Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 09:46 PM
Newborn Pup

Crusted chin eye

Hi Ashley,
I called my breeder to find out the vet they use and told me to make sure that the dust I use has no sand in it. He also said to put a couple of drops of Visine in the effected eye. If it seems to get worse or oozes, then he had some salve to use. I used the drops after wiping the area with a damp cloth and checked him in the morning and his eye was the best it looked in a few days. He must have had dust or irritation that the Visine helped rinse out.

Tags
chinchilla eye problem