Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Chinchilla eye problem?

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  AnimalFamily 
#1 ·
This is my first time posting. My son's chinchilla has flattened fur around both eyes. No other obvious symptoms. We took her to an exotic vet a few weeks ago and she said it was a upper respiratory infection and gave us antibiotics. Eyes improved slightly. Also have been using saline eye drops, but she still has the flattened fur. I'm debating taking her back to the vet. I don't mind the money if it's necessary, but I'm not sure it is. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
I don't know much about chinchillas (I have degus) but here are my thoughts for all they're worth:

Is the flattened fur from the eye watering or from her scratching? Is there pus?
Does she have any other symptoms? If still no other symptoms, and there is no pus coming from the eye, maybe she is reacting to something in her environment. Has anything changed in the cage? Is there any dust that she may be reacting to – perhaps nesting material, litter?

#3 ·
Sorry I don't know much about chinchillas either, but I do know someone who does.
If this poster comes back, please let us know your situation and I will put you in touch with someone who knows quite a bit about chinchillas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.