Chinchilla fur - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Chinchilla fur

Hi guys

I just had a quick question regarding my chinchilla's fur.

To start, before I had a water bottle that would leak all the time causing my chinchilla's fur to be matted and in a "dead"/poor state.

I've changed the water bottle now for at least 3 months now along with 2-4 dust baths a week and the fur is still not looking healthy and clean

I've tried to comb my chin but it does not seem to the trick, there appears to be dead fur on the sides and some loose fur sticking out as well.

If anyone could give their input as to what I should do to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 09:15 AM
Newborn Pup

My chinchilla has the same problem! The fur will eventually fall out, but it takes a while. It looks gross, and matted, but sometimes, I think they do it on purpose. They enjoy getting wet sometimes, I suppose, and All of it will come out.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Newborn Pup

First get a Sturdy glass water bottle they are the best for not leaking, second if your chinchilla gets wet and the fur doesnt get dry they can get a bad skin infection from the fur molding! so i would go to your chins vet (if you dont have one find a exotic vet) and get them to do a check up on your chins skin then shave off the extra wet fur! yes your chin will look silly for a little while but it will grow back and they will be greatful!

Tags
chinchilla matted fur, dead fur