Chinchilla Health - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Chinchilla Health

I recently got a chinchilla last December, her name is Zeze (zeh-zeh) and lately she has been acting a little strange. Sometime when she is one my on arm she wraps herself around my arm a bit and starts biting away at it while making slight squeaking noise that doesn't sound like an afraid or defensive sound, not hard thought she tears the skin but not nearly enough to draw blood. I've also seen her lay down flat quite frequently as of late, this is something i rarely saw her to before she always seemed to just sit on her hind legs whenever she sleeps. She seems to be eating normally. I feed her Nutriphase chinchilla formula, natural timothy hay, home filtered water, and usually a daily treat either raisin, pear twig or a raw hazelnut. I'm worried that something may be wrong with her and was wondering what other owners think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

I believe when she lays on your arm and nibbles on it and squeaks she is grooming you. This is a sign of affection.
Laying flat while sleeping may be a sign she trusts her environment now that she is settled in. However it can also be a sign that her environment is too warm.
I would not give her hazelnuts. They are not good for chins.
Hope this helps.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I don't know if its grooming or not, the bitting stings a little dont see why she would do that for grooming
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Newborn Pup

I think she is grooming you my chin does the same thing. The reason why shes breaking your skin is because she is use to grooming fur not skin, just give her time and she should stop the skin breaking