Chinchilla Help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Chinchilla Help

Okies, Ive owned a Chinchilla since monday (A Hair raiseing expreence it has been!) I've been reading alotta stuff about chinchillas, I know that they are complicated! good feed, fresh hay, running room, and No balls.

But.. I got Ransom from the Humane Society, I was actualy looking for one when the local Country station said that he was their. I took a littel of Fenagling to get him since We dont take our dogs to the vets except for Rabies (The Vets arround here have killed our dogs and Cats before, and generaly Harm more then help) But we got Him! I was looking for a Chin Annyways. Well... the people who orignaly had him have him in this Small.... Small...SMALL... Cage.. well it can fit his house in the corner and has a foot of space arround it... I made him a shelf from wood(Not ceder) that he loves and climbs on. The Hummane society dident tell us what food he was eating and only gave us his adoption papers, a Exam paper (By a vet), and a reading on Chinchillas. I havent quiet made friends with him.
Every morning at 6 15 I sit by his cage open the door. and we 'Chat' (Well he climbs on and off my hands) But he wont let me pick him up.. I KNOW chinnies need excersize... Today is my parents pay day and they are going out on a date(With bolth cars!) and so i dont have money nor a car to go get a wheele, besides the fact that it wont FIT in the cage! I got a ball, before i found out that they could die in them (my Guinni pigs used to LOVE it!) I coaxed him in it once and sat in the kitched with him and he just sat their.. I did that for about 10 min while i was cutting bananas to dehydrate for him. So I guess my question is.. How do i get him excersized? He snuck out of his cage once when I was changeing his food early this week. I cornerd him and got him back in before the cats tried to play with him and thats the most he has really gotten out of the cage. Im doing everything I can, But up here a good cage costs almost $300 I plan on getting him a better cage and all but its not exactly an option right now. Soo anny sudgestions? And Also if their are anyn LITTLE things that new chin owners dont normaly think about can you tell me? I wanna treat my Chin a Great as posible!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

There are a number of chin cage manufacturers who make cages that are better and cheaper than can be found at pet stores. KK critters, custom cage works, bass equipment, and many others. Do an internet search and you will find many. Hopefully that will help you with the cage.

I have never seen a chin wheel in a pet store that would be considered safe for chins. Once again you can find them on the internet. Chin spin, Ed's wheels, Flying saucer are a few. I do not recommend purchasing a wheel from a pet store.

Chins can get exercise in a small cage by bouncing off the walls. While he is settling in I would not be too concerned about exercize. Just allow him to become accustomed to his new environment and learn to trust you.

Hope this helped.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 05:24 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

For some more cage ideas for pet owners, try also Quality Cages and Martin's cages.

Remember, no more than one small treat a day.

Give him a couple of weeks to get used to you. Then when you start to get him out for exercise, pick a small, chin proofed area to exercise him. The bathroom is good (make sure the toilet seat is down) because there are usually no wires in there for him to chew and not too many hiding places. Just scoop the chin us and put him against your chest. Hold on to the base (never the end) of his tail in case he tries to jump. Bring him into the bathroom and sit on the floor with him in the chin proof room. Keep the exericise sessions fairly short at first. Scoop him up gently to return him to his cage.

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Hrm, We're re doing our bathroom/moveing it, the new one I could do that in when its finished but the old one has my parents biro's and such in it and lots of little hideing places that wicket likes to relive herself in x_x But that will be weeks before everything is set, Will that be ok? Even if i get him a Wheele. I know its not the greatest situation, but when i got him i thought it would be ok to let him run arround in a ball like i did with my Guinni pigs!

Kellie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3 Dogs- Mystii and Jessy (sisters) and Muffy (daughter of Mystii)

2 Kitys- Wicket and CoCo

1 Chin- Ransom

1 Ferret-Marshmello

We miss Tabby March 1988- March 2005
"Ohhhh A Ruggers life for me!"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 04:33 PM
Newborn Pup

I actually have a Martin's Cage - the highrise --> which was roughly $140 with shipping included. Pretty big.

I also let my chins out every other night in the bathroom. I usually clean it first and keep the toilet seat down so they don't jump in. They love it because they get to wall run and jump from the sink to the floor. It's crazy!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 04:48 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellie_Nicky
I know its not the greatest situation, but when i got him i thought it would be ok to let him run arround in a ball like i did with my Guinni pigs!
I don't have time to comment more, but did want to strongly warn against the balls. I have two orphaned baby chins here because the owner wasn't aware of the danger of the balls and mom died while in one. Please don't use them for your chins, they overheat entirely too quickly in them.

Stephanie

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 02:21 PM
Newborn Pup

Some more ideas:

Marshalls and Midwest Cage sell playpen fences that you can use to make a play area. I love my midwest fence. You can use existing wall(s) and the fence to make a large square play area.

I love "Quality Cage" cages. The shipping cost hurts but you could get the "condo" which is good for one chin --about $100 including shipping. They sell the Chinspin wheel and other good accessories. www.qualitycage.com

Also check out www.critterstore.com for chew stuff, the fence, and other supplies; good prices and affordable shipping.

Congrats on your new chin!

My companions: Tyson and Stuey the chins, Timmy the Wabbit, and Calvin the RES
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellie_Nicky
Okies, Ive owned a Chinchilla since monday (A Hair raiseing expreence it has been!) I've been reading alotta stuff about chinchillas, I know that they are complicated! good feed, fresh hay, running room, and No balls.
But.. I got Ransom from the Humane Society, I was actualy looking for one when the local Country station said that he was their. I took a littel of Fenagling to get him since We dont take our dogs to the vets except for Rabies (The Vets arround here have killed our dogs and Cats before, and generaly Harm more then help) But we got Him! I was looking for a Chin Annyways. Well... the people who orignaly had him have him in this Small.... Small...SMALL... Cage.. well it can fit his house in the corner and has a foot of space arround it... I made him a shelf from wood(Not ceder) that he loves and climbs on. The Hummane society dident tell us what food he was eating and only gave us his adoption papers, a Exam paper (By a vet), and a reading on Chinchillas. I havent quiet made friends with him.
Every morning at 6 15 I sit by his cage open the door. and we 'Chat' (Well he climbs on and off my hands) But he wont let me pick him up.. I KNOW chinnies need excersize... Today is my parents pay day and they are going out on a date(With bolth cars!) and so i dont have money nor a car to go get a wheele, besides the fact that it wont FIT in the cage! I got a ball, before i found out that they could die in them (my Guinni pigs used to LOVE it!) I coaxed him in it once and sat in the kitched with him and he just sat their.. I did that for about 10 min while i was cutting bananas to dehydrate for him. So I guess my question is.. How do i get him excersized? He snuck out of his cage once when I was changeing his food early this week. I cornerd him and got him back in before the cats tried to play with him and thats the most he has really gotten out of the cage. Im doing everything I can, But up here a good cage costs almost $300 I plan on getting him a better cage and all but its not exactly an option right now. Soo anny sudgestions? And Also if their are anyn LITTLE things that new chin owners dont normaly think about can you tell me? I wanna treat my Chin a Great as posible!
Yeash yeash....you say you got your chin from the Humane society? I know you live in vermont and I don't but I had no clue that you could get one there! OK maybe it is different here but, I wonder....

Tags
humane society, pet owner, pet store, pet stores