Chinchilla on a leash? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Arrow Chinchilla on a leash?

Hey everyone!

I am new to this website. I have a neutered male chinchilla, about three years old and "hetero beige"--that doesn't mean much to me, but his previous owner thought it made him special :-)
I got Benjamin few months ago. He is my first chinchilla and I am pretty much obsessed with him, and want to make him happy and give him lots of places to explore. His previous owner said that he was leash trained for a while, but that she hadn't taken him out in a long time. I got him a little harness and a leash, but he doesn't like it very much. He accepts the harness if I put it on him around 6 PM, when he's just waking up, but if I put it on him later in the night he gets very agitated.
Does anyone have any tips on leashing a chinchilla? I would love to bring him outside when it's cool, or at least to have him scamper around a different area of my apartment.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Rodentologist

I personally wouldn't use a leash on him -- it would be incredibly easy for him to tangle in it and possibly break a leg.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 07:52 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

It's nearly impossible to train a chinchilla to use a leash.
I do not know how high the humidity is where you live, but this is often a problem when taking chinchillas out side.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 07:52 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

It's nearly impossible to train a chinchilla to use a leash.
I do not know how high the humidity is where you live, but this is often a problem when taking chinchillas out side.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 01:10 PM

I wouldnt put any type of harness or collar on him. They have floating rib cages and it could break them very easily, Plus if he gets out of the harness it would be extremly hard to catch the little bugger onces he's outside.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 02:02 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

I agree with everyone. Do not put a leash on a chin. All sorts of bad things can happen.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 06:28 PM
chinchilla breeder

I agree leashes and harnesses for chinchillas are a bad idea. I have heard of broken limbs and broken backs

Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..

Tags
chinchilla, leash