Chinchilla with matted fur - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Chinchilla with matted fur

My 3 year old chinchilla, Novio, has recently become matted. He's not super friendly(just barking, no biting), so we don't hold him very often, and his cage is kept clean. He also has dust available all the time. I've never had this problem with him before and I'm not sure what to do. The mats are too bad to just comb out, and I read somewhere that he will need to be shaved. I've tried cutting them out but they are too close to the skin and I'm afraid of cutting him. He also has stringy fur around his mouth and front. Has anyone dealt with this problem before? I don't want him to develop skin problems. Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Part of the Pack

Im not sure about the matted fur. but I know you shouldnt be offering him the dust bath ALL the time. id say just a few times a week. it can get dirty and it can also dry out their skin. it should be a treat Mine get it maybe 3-4 times a week, a very small amount at a time. (usually just to get them back in their cages! haha)
About the stringy fur around his mouth, does it look wet at all? or like it gets wet now and then??? that could be a sign of more problems... or a leaky water bottle perhaps?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Adolescent Pup

yes I agree with Nik8806. If it is wet around the mouth, chin or chest I think i heard that could be a tooth issue. check into that ok. good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 07:27 PM
Part of the Pack

Yes, is he drooling and causing it to be wet, that is the question? That could be a sign of malocclusion, which must be looked at by an experienced chinchilla vet ASAP. Is he eating normally? Otherwise, if its a water bottle or something else making him wet... that can be fixed by changing something in his environment.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Part of the Pack

Ive tried to do some research about the matted fur for you.... all I cant find is that people say to try to gently comb it out. It may take a while, using a few different types of combs.
Hopefully someone here knows more
Good luck!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

The matted fur can be a genetic problem.
I'm not saying this is. For the most part it's because they get wet and then the fur gets all tangled up.

I got this one chinchilla once, and her fur kept looking bad no matter what I did. In the end I had a vet look at her, and she said it might have something to do with genetics.
She couldn't shed (sp?) her fur in a proper way. The hair didn't come out the proper way, but staid in with the old hair, making her fur very messy. I tried cutting it off, brushing her or just pulling out loose hair (not hurting her), and nothing helped.
Her sister had some very bad teeth, so I'm guessing it was because of inbreeding...

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator

How about posting a picture of your pet so that we can have a better idea of the problem?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 06:30 PM
Newborn Pup

Hi, i was looking at your post because i adopted a mistreated chinchilla, she was really matted on her back and i tried for months to get them out, nothing worked and i was worried about having her shaved. i took her to the vets in the end and they did cut them out, they was really close to her skin but i was suprised she didnt have to get shaved. If your chin has sand all the time he could be using his sand as a litter box might be mixing in with his fur.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 09:31 AM
chinchilla breeder

Often a firm gentle tug will get the mats out. Their hair is so fine combing does little. I would not use bath sand at all it is useless and grinds up the tips of their fur. Dust is much more preferable. And they really should only get a dust bath 2-3 times a week. If your chinchilla is drooling that is an indicator of teeth problems and you will need to see a dental knowledgable vet. Make sure to get xrays not just a glance in the mouth. Many teeth issues cannot be seen without xrays

Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..

Tags
chinchilla, fur matted, knots