Chinchilla Myths - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Chinchilla Myths

I thought this could be a fun thread, but there are rules

Here, you can post "Chinchilla Myths"!
Only one Myth per post.
Tell what the truth is. - Kinda like myht busters
Do not reply in this thread, if you haven't got a myth to bust
All myths are welcome
Before you post a myth, be sure to check if someone already did post it.

If you have a myth, and you do not know if it's true or not, start a new thread, and when you get the answer, you can post the myth in this thread

Hope you will like the idea, and post in this thread

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 06:26 PM

Myth:
If you move, you must get rid of your chinchilla. Moving causes too much stress and will kill them.

Truth:
Chinchillas travel all the time. From shows to new homes, to new towns, to new countries, there is no need to rehome a chinchilla just because you are moving.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 01:38 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

myth:
bathing chins makes them loose all their hair

truth:
chins fur is extremely thick so the water can cause fungus to grow and can cause them to drown if submerged in the water bc the coat will absorb much of the water ....but water wont make them just drop all their fur...just learned that myth!

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 11:21 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

Myth:
You can't house same sex chins together because they will not get along.

Truth:
Same sex cage mates often get along better than opposite sex cage mates.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 01:28 PM
Proud New Mommy

Myth:
Chinchillas have floating rib cages, therefore making them impossible to hold and play with without killing/hurting them.

Truth:
It is true that most chinchillas hate being held by their rib cage but the assumption that it's floating is completely false. Still not a great idea to sqeeze them, though!!

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau

Last edited by Rocheal; 06-10-2007 at 01:30 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 12:01 PM

Myth:
You cannot train a chinchilla

Truth:
You can train a chinchilla to go in and out of their cage and to answer to you, by treats and their name!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 03:27 PM
Adolescent Pup

Myth:
You cannot grab a chinchilla's tail, it will fall off like a lizard.

Truth:
You can hold a chin by firmly grasping the base of it's tail, it's actually safer than just grabbing them around thier body.
It's competely safe, and anyone who's been to a chinchilla show can vouch for that

~Misty~

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Proud New Mommy

As long as he doesn't squirm too much. It can easily break.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 10:52 PM

i tried to pick up my chinchilla by the tail, and she freaked majorly. I did exactly what i waz supposed to do (hold at base, support body w. other hand.) but she freaked!! haha I'm having difficulty catching her during her freetime...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 03:41 PM
Proud New Mommy

(I don't want to hijack this thread so I will send you a PM with tips on how to catch her while she is out of her cage. )

Tags
cage mate