Chinchilla not moving around much - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Chinchilla not moving around much

My daughter's chinchilla, "Chewie" isn't as lively as he normally is. He is just sitting there. He will move if he has too, but he isn't tryiung to jump around at all when we open the cage door. I don't see any obvious signs of injury. This is our first chincilla, so we are new at figuring this stuff out. Any ideas? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 05:03 PM
Member formerly known as MistyLea21

Take him to the vet immediately! I know it might not seem like no big deal but I have seen this MANY MANY times and 9x out of 10 if your chin is not behaving as normal something is wrong. Sadly chins don't show behavior soon enough to fix it a lot of times, so normally if they are showing odd behavior its bad by then. Not trying to scare you, its just reality. Take him NOW!

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Custom Designer Jewelry, Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads and More!

Eyes Of Texas Chinchillas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 05:39 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I whole-heartedly agree with Misty. We had one come in last week for being 'lethargic' and he died within 10 minutes of arrival.

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 05:42 PM

Please take your chinchilla in. We had the same thing happen to one of our chinchillas, she wasn't moving at all. She ended up passing on the way to the emergency vet. I miss her every single day.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 05:44 PM
Member formerly known as MistyLea21

I hate to say this but my recent experience with this was not one of my own chins, but AmandaDi's which is a good friend. He wasn't very active and went ahead and took him in. She ended up having to drive an hour away and he died 15 minutes from the vet. He went from just "not moving" much and she wasnt for sure if it was anything at all to worry with, but followed her gut... and it was still too late.

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

Custom Designer Jewelry, Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads and More!

Eyes Of Texas Chinchillas

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 05:53 PM

I agree with what has already been said here, I had one just last Monday that wasnt moving much and while I was on the phone with the vet he died in my husbands arms. Please take him in as soon as possible.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's responses

Thank you for your responses. We did take him to the vet immediately after posting this thread. Unfortunately, we had to put him to sleep. He seemd to have a severe neurological problem. Wasn't moving his whole right side and wasn't regulating his temperature(didn't register on the thermometer). He was a great pet for 4 years. He will be missed.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 08:58 PM

Mrsfirer (sorry, don't know your first name), I am truly sorry to hear this. You did what was best for him though. That wouldn't have been a great life for him to live, and it may have been a short one anyways. He knew he was loved and you did what you had to do for him to not be in pain.

He's at the rainbow bridge playing with all the PT member's pets that passed on.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 09:02 PM

I am sorry to hear about your baby.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 09:20 PM

Oh I'm so sorry. I hope your daughter is dealing okay.

Tags
emergency vet