Chinchilla Poop? - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogaholic View Post
I bought a rechargeable dust buster for my son's room so he can pick up the poop that comes out of the cage daily.

My question is this...what kind of cage works best to keep the poo contained??? The wire one is very messy!
Our chilla has her own room and we vacume it weekly. The way they bounce through their cages it gets kicked and springs off shelves through the wires. There is no tech I know off to prevent because too much barier over the wire restricts air flow.

You migit try a cotten sheet over 3 sides of the cage, it is breathable and can reduce the amount tossed out. Plus it has a calming effect IMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 08:32 PM
Playful Pup

my baby seems to have slighly smaller poops than my mom's chinchilla, she doesn't eat quite as much either, she's about 6 months old, i was wondering if a few drops of cider vinegar in her water, or increase in raisins would be a good thing to try, or is there a chance of malloclusion this early, she really chews a lot so i don't really know if that is something to worry about right now, 8(
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 05:54 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Chinchillas do not pee that much, but they poop all the time.

Their stomach is very small, but they have a big appendix where they digest most of their food via bacteria.
However their intestines have a problem absorbing the nutrition from the digested material that comes out of their appendix. This causes the poop too pass rather fast trough the system, so the animal can eat the poop (like rabbits), to get the nutrition it needs from the poop.

You can teach a chinchilla to use a toilet (some you can't), and they will use this to pee in. But you can't teach them to poop here.
The poop shouldn't be a problem though. It's not that wet when it comes out, and keeps on looking like poop. It's not like what you would see from a dog or cat.
If it's wet like what you find from a dog or a cat, something's wrong and you need to go to the vet.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Newborn Pup

I understand Chins poop alot, but my little guy is insane. We cleaned his cage out yesterday and added nice fleece material as his bedding now,we woke up this morning and every square inch of his giant 4 level, ferret nation, cage was covered in poop, so much that we need to clean his cage again today, is that much normal? the cage is really big, 36Lx24Wx63H. And its not just one little drop every square inch, its piles.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

You need to take some pics...
It's hard to figure out what's normal and what's not just by a description

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 10:01 PM

Chinchillas don't have the muscles to hood their poop.. It just comes out... It does become very messy... I always have to vacuum my floors. Also stop giving your chin dried fruit... It has way to much sugar in it and can cause GI track problems... Instead give them safe wood sticks, or even a small piece of non frosted shredded wheat or the plain cheerios. there are also a lot of other things you can give to your chin that is safer for them... But don't give dried fruit...
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 04:27 AM
Playful Pup

Omg As The Poo!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik8806 View Post
at least chinchilla poops arent messy!! and they are easy to clean up! always be thankful of that! They make WONDERFUL pets! the poop means nothing after you see that ENJOY!
Lol Eventually it is just part of life...i even find it in my bed because i play with mine in my sheets...i just flick it to the floor to vacuum the next day...they are more than worth the poo they dish out 8)

Tags
dried fruit