Chinchilla Poop? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Question Chinchilla Poop?

So I know this is an odd question but I'm just curious, and if there is even an answer for this question. How much should a chinchilla poop on average? It seems to me that my chinchilla does quite often. When I clean out her cage, there's tons of droppings, more so than I figured an animal that small would produce. I feed her the right amount of food and hay. I give her one or two treats (dried fruit) on the nights I'm not able to take her out of her cage. I just wanted to make sure she doesnt have a digestive problem or if it's just normal for her to poop every time she gets wound up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 11:03 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Sounds very normal. Mine poops non-stop!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

haha thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 08:20 PM
Part of the Pack

haha yeah they are constant poopers!! you will find it EVERYWHERE!
I found some in my CLEAN laundry (still in the dryer) the other day, yuck!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 12:38 AM

Hello guys! this is my first post so HELLO TO EVERYONE.

my chinchilla poops a LOT also. it is a little frustrating she even poops on me. is it considered normal too??

don't you guys mind your chinchilla pooping everywhere? I'm new to chinchillas world and I have maaaannny questions that I need answers for

do you let them run around your room and poop?
I know it sounds like I was scared of poop. I'm not, this is just curiosity.
thanks
Kamil
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 02:04 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i think chinny's poo pretty constant and i think there was a reply that said that they don't control their poo muscles so they just go when they gotta go. they can be pee potty trained but not poo as far as i know. someone with more experience will let you know better.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 03:50 AM
Part of the Pack

You're right Kendalle.

Chinchilla's do not have the specific muscles to hold in their poo. It's constant and is quite a mess.

kmlkrk: Why didn't you research this before hand BEFORE you got the chinchilla? With proper research you would have known this and been prepared or found that this wasn't the pet for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Part of the Pack

I agree, it is always good to research a pet you are interested and find out as much about it as you can. A lot of times animals are neglected because people dont know what they are getting into..

but... at least chinchilla poops arent messy!! and they are easy to clean up! always be thankful of that! They make WONDERFUL pets! the poop means nothing after you see that ENJOY!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

My chins pooped a lot when I had them.
It's good to be aware of what kind of poop they're having because if it's soft that could mean there might be a problem.

As far as I know chin poop should be pretty hard.

*Missy*
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 08:22 PM

thank you guys for your replies.
I know I should have researched before. I'll be honest - I did not... but that's all right I don't mind the poo that much
today I was working few hours to improve my chinchilla's cage. I got rid of the stock plastic shelf and I built 3 wooden shelves. I hope she will appreciate ;]
I will be checking these forums regularly from now on. I hope to find a lot valuable info here that will help me build great relationship with my chinchilla.

oh! one more thing: I'd love you to help me choose a name for her: and this is very interesting, cause when I took HER from the pet store I was told it was HIM... and that his name was CHEWIE... I was quite OK with that name but I realized that its a girl... I know that cause she sprays sometimes... especially when she sees my sister's hyperactive dog.

so if you have any ideas for the name I'd greatly appreciate.
KML
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 09:29 PM
chinchilla breeder

chinchillas are poop factories. I believe a name will just come to you, several of my chinchillas have gone nameless for a long time and suddenly one sticks. for example Sunny got named 3 weeks after I got him at 2am in the morning while I was handfeeding a kit. It just stuck

Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 02:23 AM
Adolescent Pup

Chinchillas Chew and Poo, that's what they do!

~Misty~

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MischievousChins View Post
Chinchillas Chew and Poo, that's what they do!
Its the number one thing I tell everyone who asks about chinchillas. I think they are great but if you can't take little turds then you are going to have a real problem. If you hold them or they are on you they will go. But it does not stain or make a mess. A vacume works best, just got to do it often.

A good poo should be about 3/4 the size of a food pellet, vary dark and slightly moist.

Dry or runny poo is a sign of illness.

Chinchillas digest very little of the food they eat its why they go so much.

Last edited by fuji9991; 06-10-2009 at 12:26 PM.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Newborn Pup

I bought a rechargeable dust buster for my son's room so he can pick up the poop that comes out of the cage daily.

My question is this...what kind of cage works best to keep the poo contained??? The wire one is very messy!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 09:56 PM
chinchilla breeder

Chinchillas make a poop mess no matter what you keep them in. I swear they throw it out. I have cages with solid backs, bottoms and sides. I still find a months worth of poop behind each cage on cleaning day. Can't figure out how they do it

Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..

Tags
dried fruit