chinchilla problems?! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question chinchilla problems?!

My chinchilla had a tooth problem a few weeks ago (overgrown front teeth), and I took him to the vet and his teeth were trimmed down to the proper length. I want to make sure they don't over grow again, but he doesn't seem to want to chew on any sticks or blocks I give him. He is eating fine, but he refuses to chew on anything.
And since his tooth trimming, he has been pawing at his nose a lot, as he did when he had overgrown teeth.
I spent all last weekend creating a climbing jungle gym for him. Now it's a double-decker chinchilla condo, complete with levels, ramps, hammock, and chew toys (which he doesn't even look at)
Just wondering how I can make the cage better for my little guy, and what are some good ideas for things my chinchilla can climb on.
And what can I give my chinchilla to chew on that he will actually use. What else is good for them to trim their teeth?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 08:01 PM
Playful Pup

Have you tried apple wood sticks? Maybe giving him some wood with a flavor might help. When I did live close to some wild growing, mine tore up bamboo sticks/leafs like no tomorrow. Pumice stones are good, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I've tried soaking chew sticks in apple juice and he doesn't touch them, same with the pumice stones. I don't know why he won't chew them, he used to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 08:37 PM
Playful Pup

Did they check xrays to make sure he doesnt have malocclusion? That could be causing him not to want to chew.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

After the vet looked at his overgrown teeth, he said that x-rays weren't necessary. But I guess they were.

Lizz
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Playful Pup

Xrays may very well be in order to make sure something else isn't going on. But I'm not a vet and I certainly don't have a professional opinion on that. As far as I can tell, they don't necessarily need x-rays to check for it - my vet just did a quick oral look through. So I don't know.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 03:38 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

The food and hay should be enough to hold down the teeth on it's own.

Your chin may have a problem where the front teeth grows too fast, and you will need them trimmed from time to time.
As long as it's only the front teeth that's not really a problem, and you can even learn to do it yourself.

But as said, an x-ray may be in order.
The vet can't see all he or she needs to in the molars, if no x-ray is taken.
There could be a miner problem with sharp edges, or you may have some root problems (I do not think it's the roots though. Normally their front teeth will still be looking fine when it's the roots).

So you might want to tell your vet you really want an x-ray.

No matter how good your vet is, it's a good think to know what you want done before you come in, and say what you want them to do.
If you have a feeling an x-ray is needed, make the vet do one, no matter what he or she says...
No matter how good the vet is, the best person to tell what might be the problem is you, because you know the animal.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

So hay is good enough to keep his teeth trimmed down? Because my chin seems to be a picky eater, and will only eat the smaller pieces of hay and won't eat the longer stalks. Will that still trim his teeth?

Lizz
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 04:21 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Yes. As long as he chews.
You could try and cut the hay into smaller pieces.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo

Tags
chinchilla, tooth, vet