Chinchilla Question? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Chinchilla Question?

I'm getting a Chinchilla in a few weeks and I have a Standard poodle(kitty). Kitty is really fond of all small animals and likes to lick. Could the licking be a problem?
How do Chinchillas react to large dogs?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kyo &
Krypto
1 poodle - Kitty
1 Mini Dachshund - Ivy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i think if you just intoduce her slowly and let the chinny have a hide to get away from the licking and give her a few days to get used to the place with out being stressed by the licking

your poodle is adoreable by the way.. thats what kind of dog i want when i get one

[/CENTER]

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Obviously you'll want to wait on introducing them until your chin has settled in, probably a couple of weeks. Less stress is better for these guys.

Some chins will freak out at other animals though. Mine are used to my dog and he (pug) just sniffs them and wags his tail furiously from the 'down' position.

The saliva might cause some coat problems for the chin, so I wouldn't let the poodle lick the chin. I definitely would not put them together without the dog restrained (i.e. in a harness or behind a gate, etc.) and watch VERY carefully for fear in the chin. Signs of fear include rearing up to spray, barking, trembling, running away at full speed, etc.

All in all, I usually don't recommend people introduce larger animals to chin. It's a predator/prey issue.

Congratulations on your new addition!

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 10:34 PM

I think with the dogs it varies from one to another.
My sister has a yellow lab (about 90 lbs) and the dog thinks the chinchillas are her babies. whenever they cry she runs to the cages and checks on them and she has saved about 4 lives by finding them when our dad left the cage open and they have gotten out. they have to be really careful though because as much as she loves the chinchillas she is a little clumsy.
My husband's dog on the other hand...it thought the chinchillas were food. he ended up having to find a new home for the dog because it was causing my chinchillas too much stress. it was a small dog, a shiba inu.
make sure the chinchilla is safe with whatever animals you introdue it to. and something to keep in mind, if the chinchilla feels threatened by the dog, it may spray, i've had to clean my couch a few times after the cats started to annoy the chinchillas.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 12:33 AM

i agree with Jade although my chin Andy used to live in a house with like 2 great danes, a Pomeranian, and a cat or two. He stayed in his cage/room and they were only allowed around him and his cage when someone was there. So maybe that's an option is just letting them visit after your new chin settles in long as one or the other isn't able to directly get to each other
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 11:11 AM

I agree with everyone! I would make sure your new chinny is ok in his new home and that he can trust you before you let a dog chase him and then you chase him. They get scared, we are much bigger. Once my chins got adapted to their home and their room and me, it was easy to let them play with cats and what not, infact my chinchilla liked to cuddle with my friends kitten. They need time, or they will get too stressed out and that can make them sick. Goodluck!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

ok thanks

Kyo &
Krypto
1 poodle - Kitty
1 Mini Dachshund - Ivy

Tags
yellow lab