chinchilla questions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

chinchilla questions

Hi! Hoping someone can help answer a few questions for us. We just purchased a couple of chinchillas just before Christmas. We believe one is a male and one is a female. First question is: The one we believe is a female has started pulling out her fur on her rear hip, does anyone have an ideas on why she would be doing this? Second question: We cover up the cage during the day when they sleep cause we have two cats that get curious if we dont cover them up. When they are covered and sleeping they will start making this barking noise. Any ideas on why they do this? Any help or advice would be very helpful. Thank you all very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 08:38 AM
Proud New Mommy

About the female pulling out her hair it could be a number of problems Jade would be better with helping you. Are you sure that the male is a male and the female is a female? How old are they? Did you purchase them from a pet store?

They will mate and if you're not prepared for babies or if the female is too young to safetly carry kits it could be dangerous.

The barking noise means they are basically cussing about something. Im wondering if the male is trying to mount the female and she is pulling hair due to being stressed.?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 09:22 AM

Fur chewing is either due to stress, or a genetic he/she inherited. Under the circumstances in your case i'd guess stress offhand.

As for the barking. That is stress related. Covering them up reduces their air circulation making them hot and uncomfortable. My suggestion would be put them in a room where you can shut the cats out during the day. I would not cover their cage.

As for the pair... Rocheal is correct. If they are in fact opposite sexed pairs they can and will breed. How old is your female?? My guess is she is to young to be placed with a male if you just got her.

Also, like Rocheal i'd like to ask where you got them from? If it was from a pet store the probability of them being related is incredibly high which would make breeding them even more dangerous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 09:22 AM

OH!! How rude of me....

Welcome to PT
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Not sure

Thank You very much for the quick reply. We bought the chinchillas from a pet store. They came together as a pair. The pet store got them as a pair back in February 2003. The chinchillas are about a year old. Not sure if they are brother and sister. The pet store couldnt tell us that information.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 03:22 PM
Proud New Mommy

If they are brother and sister that could be alot worse. A pair of chinchillas os a diff. sex will mate No matter if they are brother and sister or just "friends". This could be severely dangerous for the kits- Breeding genes together that are that similar. Are you going to seperate them?

Before you go anywhere else to get any more chinchillas I would not go to that pet store based on what you have said. They could not supply you with care about that animal AND that chinchillas background. Im not saying that all petstores are "bad" but alot of them will get their chinchillas from a big supplyer. The people that supply them often don't have good quality chinchillas that are being bred into the public for people to breed/own ect.. Then if the petstore breeds them it could be even worse. It's crazy out there what people will do for money.

Im so glad you care about them enough to come and get some info about them!! and Im so sorry I didn't welcome you before but to PT!!!

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 03:39 PM

Since the pet store gave you no information I would go based on the possibility these chins are siblings. Under those circumstances i would seperate them immediately.

Most breeders don't breed chins without pedigree's for that reason. Background information is important.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocheal
If they are brother and sister that could be alot worse. A pair of chinchillas os a diff. sex will mate No matter if they are brother and sister or just "friends". This could be severely dangerous for the kits- Breeding genes together that are that similar. Are you going to seperate them?

Before you go anywhere else to get any more chinchillas I would not go to that pet store based on what you have said. They could not supply you with care about that animal AND that chinchillas background. Im not saying that all petstores are "bad" but alot of them will get their chinchillas from a big supplyer. The people that supply them often don't have good quality chinchillas that are being bred into the public for people to breed/own ect.. Then if the petstore breeds them it could be even worse. It's crazy out there what people will do for money.

Im so glad you care about them enough to come and get some info about them!! and Im so sorry I didn't welcome you before but to PT!!!

Thank You Very Much for the WELCOME. We are not planning to purchase any more chinchillas. Lilo and Stitch are plenty for us. Lilo and Stitch have been together since they were brought to the pet store. Would they not be very upset if they were split up?
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 11:22 PM
Proud New Mommy

Not spliting them up could cause death. This is a very serious issue. If you allow those two to become a mating pair you are putting yourself into a situation I don't think you're ready for. Not to sound mean at all, Im just trying to look out for the chinnies and you!! They are VERY social animals and love to be with a partner (same sex if you're not breeding) but they can talk through cages and interact with supervised playtime.

You said your female is pulling hair. That stress alone is way worse than if they were to be slip apart. She is tring to tell you something.

You also said that they have been together since they were little at the pet store. Im not saying all pet stores are bad but take Jade's chinchilla, Elvis. He was purchased at a pet store and has been sick so many times and has had thousands of dollars in vet bills. This is why I don't think alot of petstores know what they're doing. They should not be selling chinchillas if they are not properly taken care of. It is your responsability as the new owner to put them in a much better enviroment.

Last edited by Rocheal; 01-30-2004 at 11:24 PM.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 11:53 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
You also said that they have been together since they were little at the pet store. Im not saying all pet stores are bad but take Jade's chinchilla, Elvis. He was purchased at a pet store and has been sick so many times and has had thousands of dollars in vet bills. This is why I don't think alot of petstores know what they're doing. They should not be selling chinchillas if they are not properly taken care of. It is your responsability as the new owner to put them in a much better enviroment.
Elvis did not come from a pet store. He came from a reputable breeder. He was sick due to a botched neuter by an inexperienced vet. He was neutered due to fur chewing, which I did not want to pass on to babies. I had a pet store female who I never wanted to breed that needed a cagemate - neutering him seemed like a good choice at the time. $2500+ later, he's still with me.

I wholeheartedly agree with Rocheal here though - separate those chins.

Stephanie

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 12:07 PM
Proud New Mommy

Sorry Jade!!!!! That was Geri wasn't it

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 12:09 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Yep, it was Geri and she's been perfectly healthy. However due to her terrible fur quality, conformation, and lack of background due to a pet store purchase, I will NEVER breed her.

Additionally, she goes to the vet yearly to evaluate her health and teeth growth, to hopefully catch malocclusion early if she has it in her lineage.

Stephanie

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 12:26 PM
Proud New Mommy

If you don't mind me asking, glennandjackie, What bedding, bath dust, and food are you using? What color are your chins? How big is their cage? I'd love to hear more about them. If you have any questions on how to take care of them, ask! Everyone here would LOVE to answer them.

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, glennandjackie, What bedding, bath dust, and food are you using? What color are your chins? How big is their cage? I'd love to hear more about them. If you have any questions on how to take care of them, ask! Everyone here would LOVE to answer them.
We are using Pine Shavings for bedding, Animal Farms LM Chinchilla Dust Bath, Pet Valu Chinchilla food Preferred Blend, Timothy Hay. Lilo(female) is grey with a little bit of black in her. Stitch(male) black with grey in him. Thier cage is 36inches high, 30inches wide, 2feet deep.
How do we put pictures on here....we have some of the chins but cant get them to paste on here?

Glenn and Jackie
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Pics of Lilo and Stitch

Rocheal: Here are some pictures of Lilo and Stitch. I hope they work.

Glenn and Jackie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lilo taking a break.jpg (21.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg stitch being curious.jpg (18.1 KB, 14 views)

Tags
choline chloride, crude fat, crude fiber, crude protein, dust bath, folic acid, hetero ebony, kiln dried, pet store, pet stores, pine shavings, pyridoxine hydrochloride, reputable breeder, social animals, standard gray, timothy hay, wonderful pets