Chinchilla Questions! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Chinchilla Questions!

I am the new owner of a Chinchilla (f) and I have never had one before. She is very spoiled and has been able to basically have the run of the cage, with the exception of taking her out for a few hours a day to get her adjusted. But, my boyfriend who pruchased her for me, had an incident where she got loose in a friends house and he had to catch her. Now when he holds her she bites at him and not in the "tasting" way. She also has recently been pooping on everything even when she seems calm. One day when it was really hot in my apartment, when it is usually cold, she was barking and very happy. Do they need to be in warmer rooms? And how can we get her to not bite him and like him again? If anyone has ideas or advice, help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 05:48 PM
Adolescent Pup

I have some advice.. I hope others can help out as well..

Chins basically poop anywhere when they feel the need. At least mine do. I have heard of litter training, but never seen it.

They should be kept in cooler, less humid rooms since their dense fur is plenty warm.

As far as the biting goes, that will take time. When she bites, blow lightly on her nose, so then she will associate that discomfort whenever shes being bad. Otherwise, continue to have playtimes with her and let her come to you instead of grabbing/picking her up. She will eventually get use to you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NaTaLiE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Setsuki (std) Coolio (bv) Butters (pw) & Diamond (sap) the chinchillas
Mortimer the cat
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 03:47 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

Chins have good memories so I think that is why she is biting your boyfriend. He will need to establish a trusting relationship with her. It takes time to establish trust with a chin. Try to let her come to you and spend time just being in the same area she is in so she can get used to your presence.

Chins need cool temperatures. Nothing above 75 degrees. They can suffer from heat stoke and die.

Chins poop everywhere and can not be trained to poop in a certain place.

Hope this helps.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

Last edited by ckane; 07-27-2006 at 03:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 12:56 AM
Adolescent Pup

Chinchillas lack the muscles to "hold" their poo, so they will poo everywhere and anytime. They usually only bark when they are unhappy, i.e. the room was too warm. Mine wuffle at make soft squeeking noises when they are happy. I agree with everyone else, that your boyfriend needs to build up trust with the little one. She definately remembers her "capture" so naturally she doesn't like him.

There is no one TRUE way

* Chloe * Jinx * Berry *
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Since you said soft squeeky noises, maybe thats what it was instead of barking..I have seen her not happy and she sqeals when she is not happy. But she seemed super happy and content and she was not barking loud but yelping? Not sure. I assumed she was happy. Guess not. Man.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 12:51 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Wee-wee-wee (yelping) sounds is stress (unhappy) soft chirping, almost in a hum is contentment (happy)
75 degrees is the warmest they can be in...personally I consider that getting into the danger zone for a chin. I keep mine at 68 but on really hot days, 72 is the warmest I'll allow in my chin room.
As for biting your boyfriend, well he captured her! She doesn't like him right now but as someone else suggested, you'll need to give her several weeks of just getting used to your presence (without holding her) you need to let her direct how long or short a time she will need to warm up to both of you. She's freaked out right now, Give her time to settle into a routine and she'll come around

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at

Tags
chin room, litter train, litter training